Mixing Electrofrog and insulfrog points

sxbiker

The main problem is potentially physical geometry.

If the Insulfrogs are Hornby and/or Peco ST branded. Then these points use a completely different geometry to Peco SL-E Electrofrog points. Hornby and Peco ST points are designed for 67mm track centres and Peco SL-E points are designed for 50mm track centres. The SL-E points are longer than the Hornby & Peco ST Insulfrog points as well.

From a pure electrical perspective, then mixing Insulfrog and Electrofrog is perfectly doable. Subject to the exact layout design, some additional power connection and distribution wiring work might be required as the SL-E Electrofrogs typically require IRJs (Insulated Rail Joiners) to be fitted to their frog rails. Thus a lot more power connections are required.

Thanks for the explanation. The geometry should not be a problem as the insulfrog points will be mainly used for fiddle yard and depots. My main consideration was the electrics part and whether there were other (operational) difficulties I might expect.

JUst to add tio Chrissaf's post. PECO's "Streamline" range of which the SL-E points are the electrofrog version also includes insulfrog points with the same geometry as their electrofrogs. The insulfrog versions of the same item having the same product code but without the letter E. For example the SL-99 is the insufrog equivalent of the electrofrog SL-E99.

I too have a mixture of these points without experiencing any trouble. Indeed I have even swapped out some electrofrogs when they becamed damaged. Just remember stick to the rule that an electrofrog point should always be fed to the toe of the point and you shouldn't have any problems