Couplings type

Coreservers

Hi there 

one thing im not keen on is the standard loop and hook coupling that comes with all new locos. I'm looking at a more authentic loo, had a quick look at the R7200, but they seem a bit fiddly. is there a better direct screw in replacement for the standard fitment?

There are several different 'options' based on the NEM pocket for new-type locomotives and rolling stock.

Apart from the 'tension lock' couplings, which vary distance between locomotive / train depending on if pulling or pushing, there are fixed length variations which clip into the pocket, or together.

Some have electrical contacts for passing current into carriages for lighting.

Recently there's been a private introduction of a magnetic coupling by Hunts - no sooner did I see them, then they're 'sold out' so supply is limited and demand is high ... interesting just the same.

Al.

I think the R7200 is plastic and therefore intended to be cosmetic. Check out Peter's Spares (other model railway suppliers are available) they have a variety of working ones made of brass available.  

You may have to bore out the hole in the headstock where the coupling actually fits to instal it. They are usually attached with a spring behind the headstock to allow some flexibility.

If your layout uses train set type curves (2nd to 4th Radius) then you may find these couplings will not work because they need the wagon buffers to be much closer together and will not allow sufficient flexibility, hence the 'unsightly' tension lock versions. A minimum radius to be used with scale couplings is closer to 1 metre and even then it is quite tight.

The most authentic looking coupling I ever used were screw/three link. These were made by a company called Smiths and were etched brass and slightly overscale. The screw link were intended for vacuum fitted stock while the 3 link were for the rest. They also made an "instanter" link which was a variation of the three link so you could pick the correct coupling type for your particular vehicle.

Although they looke really good they were very fiddly. Also as they relied on the models buffers when pushing (just like the real thing) I had a lot of problems when pushing stock around curves and points. On this , my minimum radus was three feet so I would say whilly unsuitable for use on the Hornby's sharp radius points.

The R7200 are more cosmetic than anything else, totally agreed, and not very practical to use, but I can confirm they are most definitely metal.

I've had to trim the hook mount in the past and needed the metal shears to do that!!

Al.

I am surprised that R7200 are metal they look too fine and delicate, however so be it.  However they don't appear to have a method of mechanical security needed if they are to transmit traction force. I guess they just glue into a hole in the buffer beam.

Smiths are the type Peter's spares are selling, and these incorporate springing . These are slightly overscale but this is necessary to enable them to be coupled with ease and to accept the weight of a train. I have scale couplings on gauge O stock and I some times struggle to couple wagons together.

I've managed to purchase a set of the Hunt couplings.

I'll initially fit to my Virgin HST set, then take it from there.

I've a set of freightliner hopper wagons which would be great with them.

I've the set of 100 ton bogie TEA wagons which would be nice with them.

Etc. ...

Al.