Facts or Fiction, Yorkshire Steam Railway

LCDR

I am constantly amazed at how the media can scramble facts.

Last night on Yorkshire Steam Railway, and this repeated something said on last weeks programme , it was claimed that 9F 92134 was the only one of its class to survive.

Now I accept that this is the only 9F WITH A SINGLE CHIMNEY in preservation but what about, -

and of course

?

Without listing all 8 of them, I heard that and said £$%£$ !! myself!!

Fantastic programme nevertheless and Piglet was 'doing a grand job'.

Loved seeing just how tight the gauging was on King Edward II and really wanted to see more of him / her - really nice locomotive ... despite my favourite of that lot still being 46100 of course - for those who may have read some of my comments and actually remembered ... !!

My thoughts precisely Sir.

Got to say 'though I prefer a 9F with a double chimney.

Did it affect the performance in 'normal traffic' whether single or double?

Liked hearing 'what a lovely smooth rider she was' wrt the 9F as well.

Al.

Piglet is undoubtedly the star of the show, and a real character to boot. Kieran is also a hero, who is struggling to maintain the carriage fleet in the most appaling conditions. They can only get about five carriages under cover, and one of these will be in the paint shop. All the other coaches stand out in all weathers subject to sun, rain and vandalism. Keeping them in good conditions is a nightmare. As soon as Kieran and his team overhaul one it starts to deteriorate.

Work starts soon on a large new carriage storage shed to the north of the station at the Trout Farm, where 40 carriages will be stored under cover which means a lot of the restoration work will stand a better chance of surviving for longer. As most of the carriages are 60 plus years old this is essential.

Why are carriages so important, well that is how the public judge the railway, and decide whether to come back again. Dirty, shabby coaches won't do it.  At the end of the day at present most stand out at the north end of Grosmont where it is difficult to sweep them out and wash the windows. The new facility will have cleaning platforms and inspection pits.

I had to wonder at the standard of research as it said the 20 years of return to service work was done at NYMR when according to Wiki a lot of it was done at Crewe.

I also wish the continuity person would get a grip as in the last episode Kieran kept swapping his trainers for brown boots between walking from A to B. Piglet being a magician can also change his overalls whilst walking from A to B and back again. Last week his car kept changing colour as well.

Good program nevertheless.

Nice to see the Welsh ‘toy railway’ as Kieran put it on the program as I have a weeks hols booked at Barmouth in May which is just doen the coast from Portmerion and the Blaneu Ffestineogh. Looking forward to that.