TTS cross reference information

JWRStation

I am not a purist especially when it comes to sound and whilst I appreciate and it is obvious some engines sound totally different to others; it also follows that some will sound similar.  On a large layout with a number of other engines operating then slight difference would not be partticularly noticable.  A Castle class might sound similar to a Hall or a Jubilee and so the Castle TTS could then be used..  Similarly for Diesel Locos..

Has anyone looked at this or know where I can find the relevent information as I would like to extend my TTS fitted loco's at Hornby prices and not have to pay £100 a time...

I can only suggest listening to the various loco types on utube or similar and compare whistles, chuff characteristics, general sound, etc.

As far as I know there is no comparative listing available either for TTS or any other sound decoder series.

I’m sure this has been discussed befor.

The starting point has to be the number of cylinders - an A4 decoder in a Peckett (if it would fit) wouldn’t be right for example. Then I would try and choose a decoder that has a similar whistle. A GWR whistle is very different from non GWR locos for example.

Thanks for that..  I am currently updating my Loco database to include cylinder layout etc as I have around 150 loco's. That will provide another grouping function for working this out.  My collection of Diesels are simpler as the prime movers are well known, though cross referencing the different engine makes for sound could be interesting..  Many wonderful hours could be spent listening to cold starts etc.....

It would be useful to have a table that shows near TTS Decoder, Primary use, near equivalent, acceptable etc for the Loco's that do not currently have a dedicated TTS chip, if anyone would like to start compiling one or contribute one already compiled?

This may or may not help the project...

After trawling my testing files, listening to my own fairly comprehensive selection of TTS decoders and comparing them to those Utube videos I could easily find online I offer the following information.

Steam

There are two basic TTS chuffs - 2/4 cylinder and 3 cylinder. The 2 and 4 are essentially the same sounds but played at different rates. The 3 cylinder obviously has its own unique cadence.

All whistles are unique to class but may have been recorded live or gleaned from a library such that say chime and screech whistles may have been taken from different locos in the class. These sounds were definitely recorded live where such a loco is present in preservation, else as stated library recordings are used.

Many sounds are so common as to be usable across classes, such as brake squeal, cylinder blow down, safety valves, injectors, etc but where possible these were actual recordings.

Some locos have special features unique to class such as the DoG coal pusher. Lord Nelson which although 4 cylinder has 4 sets of valve gear giving an 8 beats per revolution sound.  Unrebuilt Merchant Navy with chain driven valve gear giving it a unique sound Compared to the rebuilt Walschearts (spelling?) valve gear model. Although MN is available as a TTS retro kit in both rebuilt and unrebuilt forms, Lord Nelson is not yet available as a retro kit.

Diesels

Every TTS diesel is recorded live from class if available or using library recordings if not, but each class is unique. No common engine sounds have been used say where a family of engines is used across different classes of diesels. Each recording is as installed to that class.

Horns and other unique equipment have been recorded from type but some sounds are so common as to be usable across classes, such as spirax valves, fans, pneumatics, etc hence difficult to say if any one is true to type.

Once again some sounds may have been taken from a particular model in class and used across the whole class e.g. horns from a XYZ/1 will limely be the same on a /2, /3, /n. Another example is certain HST sounds may be the same on Valenta and MTU variants although the engine and associated unique characteristic sounds are true to type.

It is down to you to determine if a TTS decoder for a similar engined class could be used in your loco, but it is possible to list those extant TTS decoders and start to draw comparisons by similarity of cylinders, whistles, horns, prime mover engines, etc.

It would be possible to sit and listen to say every GWR loco type whistle to see if they are common to all of their locos or if there are variants across classes, but my hearing is not up to such fine division and I will leave that to someone else.