Hornby Skale lighting - any good???

Guest Chrissaf

They are no comparison.

Skaledale is still in the 'dark ages' technically. Skaledale uses incandescent bulbs. This means that they consume huge amounts of power and need a powerful high current power supply. This means that they run very hot to the touch and have a short life span.

You need to size the power supply (as a rule of thumb) on the basis of a minimum 70mA per Skaledale bulb. 100mA per bulb would be better to build in a safety margin.

The Woodland Scenic system uses LEDs and are dimmable using the W.S system which are 21 st Century technology. I cannot say more, else I will be in breach of the Hornby forum 'active promotion' rule.

Potential fire risk.......absolutely.......or at the very least black scorch marks in the cardboard if bulb is touching it.

With a bit of modelling skills you could probably swap the bulbs out for leds.

I managed to put leds into Dapol solid plastic street lights using electric paint instead of wire.

...'electric paint?'   Never heard of that, where can I get it?

My layout is now coming on quite nicely and I recently found a forgotten stash of Hornby Skale lighting. Bulbs, plugs, extension, etc. Got about a dozen cards of various bits. Another of those innovations like Live Steam Hornby came out with but vanished within a couple of years. I'd been thinking of using some of the Woodland Scenics lighting. How do the two systems compare? Any recommendations or thoughts?