Suitable multiway connectors

john_whitworth

I'm looking for a suitable connector by which I can connect my main board to my points & turntable control box. I've got six points on the mainboard - all wired underneath, as well as one turntable.

Therefore I am after a pretty robust connector which I'll be able to attach to the side of the main board. I was originally thinking of something like a Centronics connector, as it has the mechanical clips to retain the cable, as well as a nice size overall. But I then began to wonder whether it would support the kind of current draw that would be required. It's possible that I might also route my two 12V controlled supplies via this control box as well, so the connector needs to be suitably rated.

Ideally I want it to be able to be easily connected & disconnected so that the control box can be stored seperately from the main board, which unfortunately needs to be stored against the wall.

Any recommendations please?

Thanks

John

Assuming Solenoid points that are Analogue operated, then you need to factor in that the points at the instant of operation will be trying to draw 3 or 4 amps of current. Fortunately, this is a very brief current surge, but you need a connector man enough to handle this kind of current over a long period of operational time.

The recommended wire size for point operation is 32/0.2mm (32 strands of 0.2mm diameter wire in a common sheath) this is a relatively thick wire. Thus you will also need a big physical chunky connector to concentrate all this thick wiring into. Maybe something from the car industry wiring harness connector ranges.

I would look at what is available from the online UK catalogues of the major electrical / electronics component suppliers such as:

CPC

Rapidonline

Farnell

Assuming Solenoid points that are Analogue operated, then you need to factor in that the points at the instant of operation will be trying to draw 3 or 4 amps of current. Fortunately, this is a very brief current surge, but you need a connector man enough to handle this kind of current over a long period of operational time.

The recommended wire size for point operation is 32/0.2mm (32 strands of 0.2mm diameter wire in a common sheath) this is a relatively thick wire. Thus you will also need a big physical chunky connector to concentrate all this thick wiring into. Maybe something from the car industry wiring harness connector ranges.

I would look at what is available from the online UK catalogues of the major electrical / electronics component suppliers such as:

CPC

Rapidonline

Farnell

OK - thanks. The wires going from each solenoid are really quite small though? I have one of the capacitor discharge units to actually fire the points. I've also realised that my description was not that great. I am using the surface point motors, but the wiring then goes through the board. Does that make a difference?

I'm pretty familiar with the component suppliers, but the range of connections is massive, so really just wondered if anyone was already using something. That said, your suggestion of automotive connectors is a very good idea - and it has actually also made me think of thing like computer motherboard power connectors, which I could also investigate.

Cheers

John

Why not look over to another hobby - R/C cars.

Small bullet connectors will work perfectly - large ones take up to 200A / 25V, but the small ones for 'micro' sized cars will be easily up to 4A / 12-18V.

Al.

That would surely mean a seperate connector per conductor though. I was rather hoping to use a plug/socket combination that was more foolproof.

John

The computer M.Board power connectors would be ideal and can be sourced up to 20 way at least. The CDU is still supplying pulses of 3 or 4 amps. The wires on the R8243 are smaller than recommended because they are relatively short. I believe that they are 24/0.2mm spec. I did say the 32/0.2mm wires was the recommended size, not necessarily the size that every manufacturer puts on their products (to save cost).

Please try and avoid using the 'Blue Quote Button' when you are replying to the post that is directly above your reply. If you must use the 'Blue Quote Button' try to reduce the length of the quote by editing out erroneous unnecessary text......See TIPs 1 to 3 in my 'How to use this forum to best effect' page.

Molex...yes......the brand I was thinking of....but had a tempory mental block on.

Thank you for not using Blue......see how much better the thread flows now.

Thanks again. I took a look at the Molex website (was getting nowhere fast with the resellers, as the range is just too big - which is both good and bad).

Have sent Molex tech support a question as follows:

I am hoping you can help me, as I am feeling quite bewildered looking at your product range. I have tried looking at your reseller sites in the UK (Farnell, RS etc), but am still not finding what I want.

I need a multiway plug which has the following characteristics:

• 20-24 ways
  • 2-3 rows
  • capable of handling momentary 3-4 amp loads at 15V AC
  • suitable to mount on a small surface - whether that be directly or using a mounting plate.
  • robust enough to allow for frequent connection/disconnection.

My application is for a model railway/railroad - and I'd like to be able to mount a suitable connector onto the side of the layout. That essentially means mounting the connector onto softwood.

I have considered the ATX power connectors - which would probably be perfect if they were surface mountable.

Is there anything you can suggest for my application please?

Although they can be a bit fiddly to solder, I have always used D-sub plugs- robust and cheap.

For higher load applications use two pins rather than just one. I have made up leads from the plugs to tag strips as the are easy to manufacture on the bench and much easier to solder the various wires from the motors etc to the tags under the board.