What is this bit called on the H-Class please???

JJ73

I have a full set to match all the various bolts on 00 gauge locos. Bodging with the wrong tools will only lead to tears at bedtime if not earlier. If you really must press on JJ then the parallel jaw action of number 6 is better than nothing providing you adjust the slip joint accordingly.

Thank you every body  😀 I knew that I could rely on you Lovely folk for help - so many options!!!

With Ello's Small Hex shank offer - that's a bit of a long wait - not sure if I can wait that long - E. T. A. between 27th April & 29th May!!! £3.58 (from China/Hong Kong/Taiwan)

Chris's Offer of an Hornby C. R. N. Spanner - which is expected Spring 2020 & that could be any time but then B. B. said it wouldn't fit  ☹️ £3.99

Then Chris's 2nd Offer is a 2.5mm Nutspinner - so maybe that's my best option but it doesn't say a time - may be I'll have a look further £3.95

- It's from S. Wales so May be it won't take that Long & on their main page it does say " This crises has put a lot of strain on Parcel Force and the Royal Mail so please allow up to five days for delivery (although we expect deliveries to be much faster than that!)" - I'm going to go for this me thinks!!!

Thanks again every 1  😀

I surgest you get a bottle of 'Zap thread lock blue pt42' and apliy a little to the tread. It's about £3. 

this will stop it from coming undone  again but will allow you to undo it later if needed. 

as it's come undone once it might do it again. What ever you do, don't think that tightening just a little more will help. you'll snap the head and be back here asking how to remove the broken bolt. which is not a easy job.  

If you can nip it tight without then do that.

Threadlock is like 'superglue for metals' - I've used it a lot in R/C cars and trucks.

Generally they come in different 'grades' - mild/temporary, strong, permanent - blue, then red, then green.

With the permanent, you're drilling it out.

With the strong, you need to hammer / use heat and you might move it.

With the mild - NORMALLY blue - some gentle persuasion can generally remove it. THIS IS THE PROBLEM. With the railway screws, they're small and if you think you'll need to remove it in the future, you may snap the head off.

Personally I wouldn't use threadlock on railway screws - they're still relatively low performance / impact models, unlike R/C cars and trucks.

Al.

All LOCTITE® Threadlockers

They combine a mix of complex chemistry and engineering. Simply put, this product is an anaerobic adhesive applied by drops to the threads of fasteners. It then cures to a hard thermoset plastic that locks the threads together. They are used only for metal-to-metal applications.

I stand by my original reply.

If this is the 1st time a screw has fallen out I would simply give a little clean, then gently nip up - avoiding damage.

We used different strengths of threadlock in R/C depending on access required - normally when bolting skid plates onto bulkheads which hold / protect differentials which have to be removed regularly and cleaned / oil changed.

As this is probably a 'one-off' and is not normally / routinely removed and replaced every week or month, I would guess it was simply not tightened correctly upon manufacture.

Your call - I would no use threadlock in model railways unless the thread's obviously worn and I don't have a replacement to hand.

Al.

Simple description mate. Read it.

Basically if it's a worn screw, no replacement, I agree to use it.

If not, I wouldn't - hence why I said 'your call' - to JJ.

I've used all types of TL for years - one was holding the alloy shock towers on my FG Modellsport 1/6 MT - not chance to budge - green TL.

I used a touch of blue on the side plate bolts - had to be removed perhaps weekly - after 2 months I'd replace with new. Thread gets worn obviously.

Back to square one - it's probably the 1st time this screw has fallen out, so shouldn't require 'assistance' - hence every post I've made - 'shouldn't be necessary'.

Al.

Unfortunately it's down to you, don't use loctite that is for certain is. I use that only in proper engineering and even then very rearly  never on any models as it just isn't needed. the nut shoudnt have come undone in the first place and the correct tools should have been used when built. So why it did needs considering. As for what i surjested that's fine for this purpose. It is not a glue and won't even stick your fingers together. 

JJ, using pliers it's difficult to know how much force to use without snapping the head off.

Using threadlock - mild (as mentioned), medium or hard I wouldn't recommend if the thread's in good condition - it is adhesive and binds - different types, different strengths. The one mentioned is mild, but I wouldn't use below M2 high tensile screws.

You can if used to using it add 'a TINY' dab, if the screw and thread are worn ..... this is the poit I've made from the beginning - broken record time again ..

My guess is it wasn't tightened at the factory - or possibly somebody's had it off and not replaced for whatever reason.

I don't think you need it - it looks a near-new locomotive, not tinkered with in good condition.

Then ... IT'S OVER TO YOU!!  😎

Al.

Ok Thank you all - What's I've done already is order the 2.5 mm nut spinner from  Expo Tools which should be with me in the next few days - I'll carefully refit the tiny screw with the nut spinner tool - & hopefully that should be that but IF (which I hope it DOES NOT) fall opff again - then I'll order the ZAP Thread Locker - does that sound like a plan??? Yep it is nearly new - Hardly use it - just like all of my Loco's - just some of them are old with age!!!

Resist the temptation to overtighten: it is very easy to shear the head off the screw and you are then facing a much bigger problem.  As you tighten the screw, make sure the shoulder (the unthreaded part immediately below the head) sits correctly inside the circular end of the coupling rod.  As Jane says: Nice and steady.  While you have the tool to hand, check the tightness of the other three screws.

As we used to say in the old days before torque wrenches  - righty to tighty and lefty to loosey. Only tighten it till it snaps then back a bit.

As advised by others easy does it - fingertip tight not gorilla fist tight.

JOB DONE  😀 WOW - talk about being fiddley!!! - just took me over 5 mins just to try to get the screw in place!!!

@ G. S. :-

While you have the tool to hand, check the tightness of the other three screws.

Thank you for that - Guess what I found??? Yes 1 of the other screws WASN'T all that tight!!!

Any better looking???

/media/tinymce_upload/e1e8642e890fd4b5217dbe782c5038fb.JPG

Missing screw - what missng screw???...(side view!!!)

/media/tinymce_upload/b266b76a846903f508b64f7ddf043d0d.JPG

All I need to do is just give it a test & it then good to go  😀

A Big Thank you every 1 who helped me out!!!  😀 😉