www.my-apps.eu/railmaster

Guest Chrissaf

Hi

whats happened to the railmaster handheld download at www.my-apps.eu/railmaster

all i am getting is page not found

am using chrome on my android 9.0 phone

regards barrie

Hi Barrie, I note from your question that you have used the past tense as in "happened". Have you successfully used that link on that phone previously? I ask because there was a known fault with Chrome it seems to depend on your Chrome version as to what response you will get from the software. I'm not sure a fix has been published. R-

ok i have no doubt the website works because i have got other people to try it but it doesnt work for me i have tried it on firefox avg chrome on my laptop my wifes and my phone both on the wifi and the service providers mobile connection and i am constantly getting page not found . the one piece of good news is that i can ping the site my-apps.eu from my laptop

any network techies out there know the answer?

barrie

I had something very similar to the problem you are having before.  I think it's something to do with the router or search engine not re recognising the address of the site.

It was explained to me (on another website) how to get around the problem but it was far too complicated for me to do.  It eventually sorted itself out after a week or so.

Hi Barrie

I can load it from Opera (that is what I use) and I have just tried Google Chrome and Firefox.

Google Chrome works but when trying Firefox, I get a message saying that RailMaster does not support this browser.

Do you have a Virus checker or Firewall that is blocking the connection.

Bartsville.

I have a suspicion that you may be doing it wrong (somewhat supported by the fact that others don't have a problem).

Are you seeing a message something similar to this one (image below).

/media/tinymce_upload/c7dc9a67217e72ea63648f46e403ab5b.jpg

If you do see this dialogue box above or similar, the installation is stalling at this point because (when your error message says it has timed out) it is it trying to connect to IP Address 192.168.0.1 as indicated in the dialogue box shown above. The hand held APP is expecting you to have previously set up the fixed IP address as instructed to in the Hand Held User Guide installed in the documents section of RM on your RM PC. I suspect that it is not working because you have not yet completed this documented task.

If it does show a similar message to the box above, the reason your handheld device is timing out is because it can't find a copy of your RailMaster application on your RailMaster PC at the IP Address stated above. The hand held APP needs to connect to your copy of RailMaster on your RM PC so that it can download your track plan and loco roster as part of its setting up routine.

This previous thread earlier this week will give you guidance on what to do.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/iphone-as-handset/?p=1

In your case you need to give your RailMaster PC the fixed IP Address 192.168.0.1 and have RM running** when you try installing the APP again.

Note** It may not actually need to be running, but I think it would be best if it was.

Note: The above example dialogue box in my image was obtained by using my Android 7.0 Samsung tablet and navigating to the www.my-apps.eu/railmaster web address using my Android Chrome browser. I do not use my Android tablet as a Hand Held device so I have never previously installed this APP, hence my experience described above is comparable to your own ... as firstly my RM PC is not currently running, and even if it was running I don't have it configured with the required IP Address.

If you are not getting as far as seeing the dialogue box shown in the image above, then it would appear to be only you affected as everyone else including myself are accessing the www website OK.

That is really strange.  I can even access it from a W10 PC, which gives the following screen. 

/media/tinymce_upload/5eeb7cfd803029934fc759e6527d9e5a.jpg

Obviously it would not run but it still loads something and in fact this is exactly the same screen I get on my Andorid Phone, if RM is not running on my layout PC. 

As Chris has said above, it needs to connect to RailMaster on your main RM PC.

I assume you have RM running whilst you are trying, or are you not even getting the above screen or similar.

yes i probably agree with you there but while trying to resolve this issue i  have noticed that the internet icon on my railmaster dashboard the one of 3 in the top right corner is not showing me connected to the internet hence i am now not gatting any updates either, could this be related

I think that is very likely.

But since I have never had any Internet connection issues with RM myself to draw experience from. I am not sure whether that icon not being green means that RM just cannot detect that your PC has a working Internet connection, or whether that icon not being green means that RM cannot see the HRMS servers via the Internet.

One possible way to decide which of those two options might be true is to see if you can use your browser on the same PC to connect to ... firstly any website at random, then see if you can connect to www.rail-master.com/rm_setup.exe and download the current RM installer.

I would think (purely a guess) that the icon not being green means that RM failed the start-up handshaking update check and could not communicate with the HRMS servers (which are not necessarily the same ones that have the downloadable installer on them).

Look for a file in the Railmaster program folder called "log.txt". This should tell you each and every activity and task that RM performs in a sequential timeline and give clues to what is not happening when it should. There may be clues in that text file (open with Notepad or Wordpad) with regard accessing the Internet.

well the only error in there relates as expected to no internet but i have full internet connectivity elsewhere on the pc

16/04/20 17:57:42 Couldn't download updates file. No Internet connection16/04/20 17:57:42 Nothing to do16/04/20 17:57:42 Initialising controller A16/04/20 17:57:46 Port open status: 2 - The system cannot find the file specified.

Despite all the things you have done. Your PC AV software or Firewall or PC settings are blocking the ability of RM to access the Internet.

This is one of the most commonly reported issues with regard RM and the hardest to resolve.

It is most common on PCs using agressive AV products designed for 'Home Consumers' from the likes of Norton & McAfee. Particularly any AV software suite that typically installs and enables an alternative Firewall to the default inbuilt Windows one.

I will be very surprised if this does not turn out to be a Virus Protection / Firewall Problem.  The ones mentioned above are sometimes almost impossible to remove or 'switch off', once they are installed.

If you have AVG full version your Windows Firewall is automatically turned off by the AVG software. You should never run two firewalls at the same time. It is absolutely not necessary.

What I would say though is that you should check your Windows Firewall anyway and make sure, whether turned off or not, that RailMaster has access to the web.

Check this page on my own Help Site and pay attention to the first popup link on the right hand column.

Work on that and then come back after testing everything.

https://octaviancs.com/railmaster/installation1.php?id=installation#

The link will open in a new window so you don't lose this page.

I understand you may have checked this already and opened up the firewall but we need to know step by step what is going on to trace the fault. If you do use the AVG firewall I suggest you turn that off permanently. You don't need it. Windows Firewall is perfectly adequate and your router will have a built in firewall anyway which is hardware driven and cannot be over-ridden. You'd be surprised how many times a firewall is the cause of these issues. Also bare in mind that turning features 'off' in AVG or other AV programs does not stop them placing blocks to outside access for certain sites.

Let us know how you get on.

I used the term 'aggressive' for very good reason. It has been repeatedly shown on this forum that just disabling the AV and turning off the Firewall has no effect. RM is still blocked by something this is still residual in these 'aggressive' security applications.

This is not helped by the fact that RM is fundamentally an XP application running under Windows 7, 8 & 10 which I believe is why it has so many communication issues. For example, when I manually download the RM updates, my Windows 10 PC throws a wobbly and gives a message about this application being an untrusted application and do I really want to continue with the download. Fortunately I can over-ride this message for the time being and force the download to continue.

I would not have expected it to. Performing a full start from scratch reinstall never ever fixes the Internet connection issue.

I assume that you are still using RM in 'Evaluation' mode. Because to completely reinstall RM you first have to deactivate the license key, else it won't reactivate again after reinstallation. All those users who have reported 'Internet' connection issues with RM are usually reporting that they can't activate their installation from an 'Evaluation' to a full 'Licensed' copy.

Follow AC's guidance on the previous page of this thread [last post on the page].

Barrie

We have not heard from you for nearly a week.  Have you now solved (or given up) the issue.

I ask because I contacted RailMaster Support on your behalf and they have responded today that they cannot re-create the problem or had anyone else report a problem.

They asked if you would email them directly.  It would be useful if you could include in your email that you are the person that was reported by me as having a problem.  Good Luck, let us know how you get on. 

The email address to Contact RailMaster Support directly is:  

support@rail-master.com