TTS Volume

AussieAlex90

Hi everyone, hope isolation isnt breaking everyones hobby budget like it is mine!

I've trawled through the forums regarding turning down the TTS sound volume - the ones I could find where more after instructions on how to do it which isnt quite my problem. 

For starters I am using:
Railmaster ver1.72
E-link (also have a select controller) 
A brand new Hornby K1 fitted with a J36 Class sound decoder (R7239) which runs flawlessly. 

My problem (like the majority) is that the decoder runs to loud. 

I have tried:
On the main programming - writing CV182 (according the decoder manual is the master quick volume) between 0-8 whilst the sound is running. It doesnt make a difference - even 0 (which I thought was off) doesnt change the volume. 
Using the programming track to manually write each individual sound address to everything between 0-8 and then reading the decoder to make sure they are set - again no change in volume. 

Am I missing something? I have read through both the TTS manual and my railmaster manual and I believe that on the main programming should be the best way to hear the volume changing. 

Any help would be appreciated. 

ELInk cannot program on the main. You will have to change the master volume on the programming track, listen on the main to confirm the change, then back to the programming track to alter any spot volumes you may want to fine tune.

You can program on the fly with the Select if it has firmware V1.6 which allows you to amend CVs and the loco address is within Select range of 1 to 59. What is the first number on screen as you power it up. Range will be between 10 and 16, possibly 20, followed by 30 then address 03 to indicate it is ready for use.

Note, If you were to upgrade the Select to version 1.6 or it is already at version 1.6 or 2.0 then be aware that you still need to isolate your TTS loco on the track. If you don't, and there are other loco decoders OR Accessory Decoders still on or connected to the track, then they can have their programming corrupted.

As Rob says, RailMaster does not provide a 'Programming On Main' option. The only Hornby DCC controller that does offer this POM option is the Elite.

TIP: As a relatively newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

thanks for the heads up regarding POM.I am still having an issue though - Using the program track I can read and edit the CV's that corrospond to the sound I then transfer the loco to the main -  If I edit CV 182 to 1 and then re read all the sound CV's I can see that they have been set to 1, but still no notable volume changes can be heard.Secondly when I read the decoder it blanks out CV's 178 onwards - even though my decoder manual says that there are sounds associated with CV's 179 - 181. when the loco is on the main I can play the sounds that are acosiated with the CV (for example CV 179 is the fancy whistle which plays correctly) but it doesnt show up as a usable CV when I read the decoder. I understand that CV182 is non readable, but the others should show up?Im not sure if it matters but CV 7 shows the decoder as hornby TTS (class 15) even though the manual and product code are for a class J36. 

On a side note my select version is 1.2 is it possible to upgrade the firmware on this myself? 

Class 15 sounds like a diesel unless it is S15 which is steam.

Are the missing CVs greyed out. If not you may still be able to write to them. See if they will take an input. Or try pulling down another TTS steam decoder from the list.

In desparation can replace the 8 ohm speaker with a 100 ohm speaker to tame the volume but if it is too quiet then you are going to have to turn up the volume again stressing the amp.

Your Select can only be updated by return to works at Hornby unfortunately. Cost is £15+VAT and includes return postage. You pay to get it there. Call Hornby Customer Care for a returns number. DIY updating is not possible as it requires the case to be opened for access to the motherboard, a Jumper cutting, PIC programming equipment connecting via a special patch cable and uploading of a hex data file. All the above can be achieved by a savvy person, but Hornby will not release the update file to the general public, so home updating is a non-starter.

The advantages of the update over v1.2 are shown here (scroll down to the Select area).

http://www.halton96th.org.uk/dcc-downloads.html

... fit a suitable resistor in series with the speaker ,...

Before suggesting this glib fix maybe you should have looked at this discussion about the science of speakers.

https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/278198/volume-reducing-resistor-in-speaker-lines

Good luck trying to fit an attenuater before the amp on a sound decoder.