Captain Tom named locos

96RAF

Just thinking that Hornby should have kept the limited edition numbers lower. In X months time, when hopefully the worst of this has past people may well have a different view of looking to the future instead of dwelling on an event they might rather forget. They may well be left with excess stock.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they probably increased the number due to the online orders that were coming in? Not sure whether it was the cause, but the site crashed on Saturday (?) night. You will be aware the the number increased in stages, so I assume the number was increased as the orders came in. Looking at the comments on other forums, a large number of people bought because it was a memorable event and becuase Hornby were donating a large sum of money to the NHS charities.

I'm tempted to order one, the honorable Captain has done so much to lift the spirits of so many, not only in the UK but the world over.  He's big news even in this part of the world.  I'm not worried about the final "limited edition" number, it's hardly 50 000 units and will be a special reminder of a significant time in history.

I'm currently balking at the 41 pound delivery charge though.  I could wear that if it were actually all going to charity.  Still can't understand Hornby's postage rates, they are well beyond acceptable in this day and age.

HK.

Hi ,,,isn't there anyone in the uk who could order it for you and post it to you ,would only be a tenner I bet .

Hi mjb, yes, I have a niece working in London who could probably get this for me with a little gentle arm-twisting.  I guess my post was more about the excessive delivery charges that still exist across Hornby's web store.  I would like to order more directly from Hornby but they shoot themselves in the foot all the time.  They operate a web outlet, however I'm not sure their heart is really in it to do this and would prefer to see us support third party online or local stores.

Anyhow, seems the decision has been taken out of my hands if pre-ordering is now closed though, at time of writing, there is still one showing in my basket.

HK.

@peter_stiles

I would imagine in the next few weeks Google will be able to find plenty of pictures of 66731 in service and you will get an idea of what loads would be suitable. I would guess it will take its turn on GBRf's regular freight tasks. The difficulty will be finding models of some of the wagons it will be pulling.

Still - I imagine once things calm down it may pull some charters and then you'll be able to stick coaches behind it.