Track Joint

Despite being OK for about a month,one rail at a track joint has become raised after ballasting. This is causing trains to derail.

Despite being OK for a couple of months, one rail at a track joint has become raised and is causing train derailments. This happened after ballasting, i probably used to much. I have tried digging out ballast to allow the rail back down without success. Are there suggestions before I have to relay this section of track?

Is there any suggested

How about running an axle over the joint to see if it lifts.If so, take a sharp impliment and cut away the ballast from the inside edge, the 4 foot.I don't know what the 4 foot should be called scaled down to OO. Just quickly worked that out, I think it would be called the 18mm

A close up photograph of the offending area, may make it easier for members to formulate possible suggestions. How to post an image is TIP 8 in my TIPs page - see below.

TIP: As a newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

It sounds like a fishplate is not located correctly.

If so you may be able to slide it back on the rail with a flat screwdriver blade, align the other rail and re-engage the fishplate. You may have to trim a sleeper chair with a scalpel to allow the fishplate to slide back.

If the fishplate is definitely engaged with both rail ends then it may just be slack and can be tightened with a flat screwdriver blade applied from vertically above. A slight tap with a hammer will snug it up again.

This image (pasted from LC's 'sticky post') shows what Rob above is describing in text.

/media/tinymce_upload/82eae06235c1b04a4e1efb1f9aff31a1.JPG