Peckett W4 Pick ups

NHY581

Hi. 

I have a few examples of the Peckett W4. On one, the pickups have snapped and at present I cannot source a replacement set therefore unable to run it. 

Very happy with all of mine, lovely locos that run very well indeed. 

Has anyone else had a similar issue with these locos? 

Rob. 

• 5 months later...

I don't think this difficulty is only with W4 Peckets. Many of the newer models seem to have brittle pick up strips. It is not unusual to find a new loco has one or more pick up strips/springs/wipers that do not quite reach the wheel rim they are meant to pick up from. Careful easing with fingers or small pliers or tweezers usually resolves the problem.  However careful you try to bend some they break. I have just had one break on a brand new H Class. I managed to overcome by carefully soldering a short length of phosphor bronze pick up strip at the break point. 

A friend has a W4 and he broke one doing just what I have outlined. 

Cliff

I stopped buying Hornby locos second hand because generally they have broken pickups, then to find Hornby don't sell them as spares any more. They are very fine on modern locos so it is not surprising they break. I have done the same, soldered bits of phosphor bronze, or used bits of old pickups that you can still get as spares, trouble is they are never quite the same.