Using E Link as a stand alone power source

Hi guys,

I'm back from the dead, a survivor of COVID 19! (Spent 3 weeks in ISO)

Now I am at home in isolation and have finally completed laying my track.

Unfortunately, I found my Reverse Loop accessory didn't work and after many hours of troubleshooting found it broken. No one here in Australia can fix it and I didn't think it was worth the money or time sending it back to Hornby, so I used my power booster for the purpose with the inbuilt reverse loop function, an overkill I know but it works.

I would really like to thank you for all of your help in setting up my plan with the many reverse loops.

Now I would like to use my elite for the operations of my engines and use rail master through the E link for my points lights uncouplers etc.

I have 24 points and 6 uncouplers I want to run using the E Link as the controller through rail master,

So my question is:

Do I plug in my elite to my computer and then use the E Link with Rail Master to program the points and uncouplers. Then after using the program outlets on the E Link, change to the track outlets of the E link and use Railmaster with my touch screen or mouse to change the points.

In other words, I don't use any part of my existing track for power, only using the Elink as a separate source of power.

Again thank you guys for your help,

Ralphy

Assuming you want to run both locos and accessories from RM.

First off you have to set RM up with Elite as Cont A and eLInk as Cont B. Each is powered by its own power pack and each must be connected to its own separate bus - you MUST NOT have more than one controller connected to the same bus. Elite connected to the track only and eLink connected to the accessories only. Note that whilst Elite is linked to RM it can still be used manually to control locos if necessary.

Secondly only Cont A can program through RM so you have to connect your accessory decoders, etc to the Elite PROG output for programming purposes unless they are of the self learning type. programming of both types of accessory decoder has been covered before on the forum so I will not go through it again step by step.

Thirdly both controllers need to be connected to the PC to work with RM, in fact you cannot use an eLInk in any way except with RM.

Having got both controllers connected then the important bit is to configure your .ini file so that they both connect reliably. This has been covered many times on the forum so I will not go through it again either.

Now I would like to use my Elite for the operations of my engines and use RailMaster through the eLink for my points lights un-couplers etc.

You could do it that way if you like, which I have interpreted as being configured as per the schematic below:

/media/tinymce_upload/097cb85973aa47f411f38781ffb4a6f3.jpg

But a much more effective way would be to use RailMasters unique dual Controller A & B option and configure it this way instead.

/media/tinymce_upload/a6fc3480580d192d9d1987439d1f465c.jpg

However note these limitations and set-up comments.

1. In the above configuration you cannot use the 'Programming Output' of the Controller B (eLink). RailMaster will only route DCC programming commands to whichever controller is connected as Controller A.
  2. The Accessory Decoders would need their initial configuration performed using Controller A (Elite) before being connected to Controller B (eLink).
  3. In the track plan configuration screen. Right click each point and/or signal and ensure that 'Controller B' is selected as the functional controller for that accessory.
  4. In the RailMaster 'System Settings' screen ensure that Controller A & Controller B have the correct settings listed. i.e Baud Rate & Comm port. eLink Baud Rate 115200 & Elite Baud Rate 19200 whilst Com ports must match those listed in Windows 'Device Manager'.
  5. If you use Electrofog points with fully switched frog power and you are using non Hornby Accessory Decoders with frog power switching outputs such as those made for example by DCC Concepts. Then you must not use the Accessory Decoder integral frog output unless you use the additional and optional isolated metallic contact switches on those decoders. Else, the frog power will be connected to the Controller B power output whilst the track is connected to the Controller A power. The frogs must get their switched power from Controller A, the same as the track itself.

If the dual controller option is implemented, then some .INI file edits in RailMaster will be needed.

RailMaster.Ini file changes for two controllers

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/railmaster-operating-2-controllers/?p=1/

The info on the link above was written long before the current 1.7x RailMaster software release, thus the suggested values are now probably out of date and will need some experimentation to find a working value combination. Initially I suggest trying this combination:

Check controller2=1

Alternative comms2=1

Check controller=0

Alternative comms=0

The above value suggestions is based upon eLink as Controller 2.

EDIT: Rob posted whilst I was preparing my reply with drawings, thus there is some considerable overlap with the same advice.

PS - Glad to hear that you got through Covid OK and presumably have some level of ongoing immunity.