Getting the most out of Railmaster

Hi guys, I know I've bored you in the past with my raving about ABC braking - so here's a post about a video I've just created where ABC ain't working.... well it will be soon, just not right now.

So what is the fella going on about? I hear you say. well i decided that loco detection is never going to happen, alternative control systems & detection are prohibitively expensive so I created my own signal decoder using an Arduino. of course, just making lights turn red/green isn't really rocket science, but i've added sensor overrides - so railmaster controls the signal (hopefully with ABC !) , but a couple of sensors monitor the block in front & set the signal to danger if it's occupied.

here's a short video showing my progress so far: 

Looking at the video I perceived a problem that doesn’t seem to happen -  how do you stop the train on the other track from triggerring the circuit controlling the prime track.

I have the same general twin track layout and initially I want to run simple tail chasing signal lights using IR sensors, pending full LD control and my skill set improving. I have an Arduino presently rigged as a DCC monitor, but as they are so cheap more would be purchased later.

Train-Tech has recently put out a video showing their new relay board in use as a train controller showing them stopping at signal lights in a similar scenario to yours.

RDS,

The OP did say his intention was to use the relay to implement ABC braking. A technique that is decoder specification dependant. I doub't that the intention is to use the relay contacts to actually break the DCC power to the track. ABC [Automatic Brake Control] brings a loco to a standstill whilst it is still powered, thus lights and sound still function.

All explained in this video

• 3 weeks later...

now that i have it all up and running, i can try multiple sensor types. the ir sensors were rediculously cheap, and they are working well. rfid is definately something i will try, although this is an n-gauge railway so i expect it to be tricky.

• 3 weeks later...

I've updated the website with a circuit schematic & the sketch to drive the board. 

The circuit has been updated to use CT coils enabling block occupancy, rather than using IR sensors that proved to be very unreliable.

The board is reliably controlling the signals & braking modules on the outer loop of my railway. I'm currently building two additional boards - one to control the inner loop & one to control the branchline. 

I've updated the website with a circuit schematic & the sketch to drive the board. 

The circuit has been updated to use CT coils enabling block occupancy, rather than using IR sensors that proved to be very unreliable.

The board is reliably controlling the signals & braking modules on the outer loop of my railway. I'm currently building two additional boards - one to control the inner loop & one to control the branchline. 

Andy can you give us a direct link to the schemtic as ll I can find is the sketch.