Flying Scotsman - LNER Green Paint Colour

Guest Chrissaf

Hi everyone

I want to be able to reproduce 4472 as she appeared at the British Empire Exhibition in 1925. 
it is widely documented that instead of having the normal 8-wheel tender, she was coupled to a six wheel K3 tender. 
R3736 is probably the closest model for the date range, so I will need to be able to exactly match that colour. 
I have managed get hold of a Bachman produced LNER K3, but I will obviously need to correctly match the paint Pantone that Hornby used in the production run of this model, otherwise the tender will stick out like a sore thumb.
is there any way of obtaining the correct information - there seem to be so many different variations around of what is LNER green. 
Any help would be most appreciated. 
Thanks

Chris 

Whilst you wait for a reply, perhaps you would spend a few minutes reviewing the TIPs in the TIP page link below:

TIP: As a newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

R.074 (1993) also represents "Flying Scotsman" in the period after being exhibited at the1924-1925 Wembley exhibition when the LNER coat of arms was painted on the cabsides. This model was tender powered by a type 5 ringfield motor. The model did not ,however, have a six wheel tender.

Hi Anglia

Thanks  - I believe that R074 is a later model of 4472 as an A1 would have looked before conversion to an A3. R3736 appears to be as the locomotive would have looked before her cab was lowered. I'm not aware of any other releases that use this re-tooled body moulding. if there are then great - otherwise I need to ensure that the green is a correct match. What I am setting out to achieve is 1472/4472 in her three guises from 1923-1925. many info on the correct colour to use would be really helpful. Thanks

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure it's certain that 4472 was coupled to a 6-wheel tender for the 1924 British Empire Exhibition. 

https://www.railwaymuseum.org.uk/objects-and-stories/history-flying-scotsman

The second image on this page purports to show the loco wrapped up for transit to the exhibition, and although the tender superstructure can't be seen it's clearly an 8-wheel tender.

• 3 weeks later...

Gents

Thanks to all of your posts. 

according to a lot of literature on the old girl, she appeared at the 1925 Exhibition coupled with a K3 six wheel tender  this was apparently due to some restrictions either the length of space available at the show, or marshalling restrictions getting her in - it's not clear which these were  

Intersting post but I have around 10 books on Flying Scotsman and have spent a few hours searching the web and official records and CANNOT find any photos of her with a 6 wheel tender. One photo I did find was of the early 8 wheel A1 tender's that had a poor image of the last set of wheels which made it look like a 6 wheel tender. NRM records are also missing any mention of a 6 wheel tender but refer to a small tender which is most likely the A1 tender, which Hornby have modelled several times on the loco. If any photographic evidence of a 6 wheel tender comes to light I would like to see that photo. Also for those that know me on here for collecting Britannias, I also collect Flying Scotsman locos in a display cabinet and anything literature from books to VHS videos and DVD's of which many images are ancient 8mm & 35mm film reproductions.I have been on this loco many times in steam.

A photo showing the loco on exhibition with the 6-wheel tender also appears in the LNER 'bible', the RCTS 'Locomotives of the LNER - Part 2A' - or perhaps it's the same picture, I don't have the book mentioned by Derek 19B to compare.

My favourite book on the engine is the Haynes/NRM 'Owners' Workshop Manual' (full price £22.99, now massively discounted - I paid £6 in 'The Works' in North Shields a year or two ago.) It has the answer as to why there is disagreement on which tender it had at the exhibition...

(I am quoting nearly word for word)

"In 1923 No 1472 (as it was then) sustained a fractured middle piston rod that could not be replaced immediately. Seemingly for this prosaic reason it was selected to represent the LNER at the forthcoming British Empire Exhibition, due to open in Wembley the following year.

It therefore entered Doncaster Works in December 1923 and emerged at the beginning of March 1924 now renumbered 4472 and named 'Flying Scotsman' and with the LNER coat of arms on the cabside. The loco was despatched south to the exhibition covered in a specially tailored white shroud."

(There was a link to a photo of this, showing an unmistakeable 8-wheel tender under the shroud, which Blythtyneboi uploaded to this thread on 7th June.)

"The loco returned to revenue-earning service on the ECML in November 1924. After only four months in traffic it received more special attention before returning to Wembley for further display from May to October 1925. This time the loco was paired with a smaller 6-wheel tender from a K3 due to space constraints." (my italics)

So everybody is right! In 1924 it had a normal 8-wheel tender, in 1925 it had a 6-wheel tender. The Haynes book also includes the 1925 picture.

So, we started off with a query about green paint didn't we? But a very interesting diversion.

Cheers

Trevor

I find the 6 Wheel tender issue fascinating as I have nothing in my library with any mention of this, unless I have missed it. For those who have seen photo evidence, is there any chance you could scan the photo to upload to this site. Today I am going to fine comb my FS books to see if I have missed it.

Sounds like a "Well - I never knew that" moment Vespa. Nice to see your still with us. Welcome back. BB

I look fairly regularly but have little to comment on these days except something of interest to me. I am no longer a fan of the site now.