Hornby Class 60

jawz00

Hello all.

I have a new Hornby 60 DCC sound loco. It is great but the only problem is that it has a tendency to drag coaches, wagons, etc. off the track due to a 'stiff coupler'. I have noted in few places that this is a known problem with this

loco.

I was wondering if Hornby or anyone else out there has come up with a fix for this problem?

Good question. I have lots of problems with my Hornby Class 50 dragging stock off the rails because of the coupling design. There must be an answer somewhere by someone? Hornby are best placed it would seem to me.

The loco, running & detail is great

- it just keeps dragging the first coach or wagon off the rails.

Warm regards,

Take a paper clip, unwind one end. Glue the clip under the bogie so that the straight bit passes under the coupling. Bend the end up so that it passes through the coupling. When the bogie turns it moves the coupling with it. Paint it black and it is almost

invisible.

You may have to adjust the angle of the wire so as not to foul thye loco body, points etc.

Maybe not an ideal answer as it should be fixed by Hornby, but it works really well and doesn't damage the loco.

I did this on my Class

50 and have had no problem since.

Thanks for that. I might give it a go tonight. It just seems like a lot of hassle (and the fact you have to alter a very expensive loco) to make something work that should be working out the box.

Surely Hornby must have come up with some sort of

solution for this without having to resort to glueing extra bits on etc.

Hi Jawz00,

When you get the time to check your model please let me know if the coupler is fixed on a seperat pocket or is fixed to the bogies. If it is fixed on a seperate pocket, can you move it sideways without any obstruction.

Hope you

understand as I plan to buy the simmilar loco and it is priced at 150 pounds!!!!

regards,

minoo

The coupling is fixed to the body not the bogie. It does move from side to side but sometimes doesn't, causing the derailments, hence

Jawz first question and my fix, not ideal but it works.

• 2 weeks later...
I have a similar issue with my Class 60. Hornby advised me to use a small file and round off the casting that the coupler swings inside of. The casting is an upside down V and if there is any flash or the V peak is too sharp, then the coupling appears

to get stucvk facing one way. I have filed mine, and fitted the Hornby large NEM coupler with some success, but basically,the leading wagon can still tend to derail on a second radius curve. I think the suggestion from walkingthe dof is a good one and am going

to give this a try!

Archived