DCC running problem when wagons are attached.

Guest Chrissaf

Do you have any points? If so, is this where the issues arise?  Out of gauge metal wheels where the Back to Back distance is incorrect or metal wheels being too wide and bridging the points frog rails can lead to shorts and abrupt stopping. 

Unless the wagons are pressing down in the rear of the loco and in turn lifting one set of the loco wheels off the rails slightly due to incompatible couplings? 

Another thing worth checking is that no wagon wheels are seized and all rotate freely as seized wheel(s) will add drag to the loco and in turn could cause the locos motor to draw too much current and trip out? 

Otherwise, I've not heard of any issues a wagon can cause. 

I recently started from scratch and bought a Hornby Terrier with DCC and 3 random goods wagons,  The Loco will run for hours on its own without any problem at all.

As soon as I attach the wagons, it starts to stall and run erratically with no obvious pattern  Trial and error shows the problem to be with two Dalpol wagons, if I leave them out everything runs just fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks, 😀

I am confident it is neither the wheels nor the points, the fault occurs on straight track,

However I thought the couplings were acting a bit strange from the start, the Dalpol ones hung lower and I got random un-couplings for no obvious reason. How could they be incompatible?

Dapol wagons wheels and couplings are rubbish, the back to backs are always wrong the flanges are deep and the couplings droop sometimes they catch on the track. I had a problem with derailing It was a problem with the couplings. Poor quality, I replaced them and the wheels and they are now fine. I usually won't buy dapol wagons that's why they sell cheap.

I think Dapol wagons are very good, especially the weathered ones. Drooping couplers can be an issue, replaced all mine with kadees, they go well. I do weight all my wagons with 25 grams of tyre weights, they run better as a result.

The actual wagons aren't bad, I said the wheels and couplings are rubbish these parts are unusable.

I used to have a coach and wagon tester track. It was a long plank of wood with a slalom of spare straight and curved track and points mounted to it. The plank could be tipped up at one end and rolling stock allowed to run free singly and in rakes to see if there were any problems. On the flat rakes could be pulled and pushed by a loco to look for problems.

Long since gone unfortunately as layouts have evolved.