TTS volume control

Zapper

Hi

i see there has been a lot of discussion regarding how to change the volume on Hornby TTS locos and wagons.

i know I have to change the value in CV178 but what is it and how do I do this with my Select controlle. I've read the Select manual from cover to cover and nothing. Ditto the TTS instructions.

help me out please

phil

You can't do this with a Select controller unless it has either version 1.6 or version 2.0 firmware. This is why it is not documented in your manual. The version 1.6 manual addendum is downloadable from the Hornby manuals repository. The addendum manual is valid for both 1.6 and 2.0 firmware and explains how to write to CVs [which would include CV178] once you have the firmware upgrade implemented.

The current installed firmware is displayed as the very first number to briefly appear on the Select screen as it is being powered up. Expect to see a number between 10 and 20. At the time of writing, the latest version is 1.6 [16] or 2.0 [20] - both the same. These latest versions completely transform the user experience of the Select controller and add the ability to write (not read) all CVs.

The upgrade charge is typically £15 plus VAT [£18] plus your sending postage costs. You need to get a 'returns number' from Hornby Customer Services - see 'Contact Us' link at the very bottom of the page.

A CV [Configuration Variable] is a memory location held within the decoder where you can store (write) data. This data tells the decoder how you want it to function. CV178 in a TTS is a CV for storing volume data.

I've got version 2.0 so will download the addendum and have a play.

many thanks

youre becoming my personal problem solver !

have read the addendum  and tried to adjust the volume on my wagon but can't make it happen ?

ive got version 2.0 firmware on my select. When I try to enter the cv 175, I press and hold the number 1 until it flashes as per the instruction. However, when I enter the 7 and 5 the on disappears and I'm left with just the 7 and 5 on my display.

is this because there  is a later version of firmware or is something else happening ?

phil

I don't have a Select so cannot draw upon personal experience. But Rog is correct about the limitations of the 2 digit display. Rob (RAF96) on here is the expert on the Select as he was involved in testing the Select firmware for Hornby.

I'm not familiar with the details (Rob will know) but there are a batch of TTS decoders out there where the master volume CV is incorrectly offset by 2. If your TTS is affected by this, then it may be that editing CV178 will have no effect and you need to edit another CV instead. Possibly CV176 or CV180. As I said, I can't remember the exact details, but Rob has published them on the forum multiple times.

From square 1 with the loco on the programming track...(copied from the manual addendum).

Long press SELECT

LA flashes

Input zero or double zero and press FUNCTION to enter programming mode

CA flashes (i.e. CV number)

To input a three digit number...

Long press 1 until 1- flashes

Input 78 and press FUNCTION

CP flashes (i.e. CV parameter or value)

Input volume level required - choose 0 (off) to 8 (loudest), default is 4)

Press SELECT to finish.

There were some decoders where the master volume CV number was offset by plus 2 so if no reaction on CV178 try CV180.