BASINGSTOKE 1958-67 (87ft x 25ft)

An interesting layout, and I look forward to seeing more. Living in Basingstoke, and having Worting Junction at the bottom of the road - I can see it - and the size of your layout - wow!  Your era is a little before my time in Basingstoke (1971 to date), but I did commute into Waterloo from 1964 until 2009 - so saw steam for a few years. We do still get steam loco's through Basingstoke periodically in the summer (may be not this year.), I sometime go to the bottom of the road to see them, but more often Battledown at Oakley. As I said, I look forward to seeing more of your layout. BB

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An interesting layout, and I look forward to seeing more. Living in Basingstoke, and having Worting Junction at the bottom of the road - I can see it - and the size of your layout - wow! Your era is a little before my time in Basingstoke (1971 to date), but I did commute into Waterloo from 1964 until 2009 - so saw steam for a few years. We do still get steam loco's through Basingstoke periodically in the summer (may be not this year.), I sometime go to the bottom of the road to see them, but more often Battledown at Oakley. As I said, I look forward to seeing more of your layout. BB

BASINGSTOKE 1958-67 

Hi Bulleidboy,

Well as you live within sight of Worting Junction, here are a few photos specially for you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

BASINGSTOKE

As the COVID 19 lockdown has now been eased here in Spain, and I can now go back into the Museum. The first thing to do has been to set up the Basingstoke station side of the layout, in the new 1st floor storage room in the main building which is just big enough (30metres x 4metres) !!! 

The Duke 71000 - I cannot wait to see the completed Basingstoke Station. Farnham MRS used to have an exhibition N gauge layout of Basingstoke Station - it was superb - a lot of measuring! It used to be on their website, but the layout has now been sold and is now in the Isle of Man! BB

I found it - it may help with some pictures? https://farnhammrc.org.uk/?page_id=42

You have a hill to climb there duke.

Folk probably do not appreciate the massive size of the thing until you get objects to scale it by like the seemingly endless number of lights in the roof or as mentioned that lonely coach. 30 m long is what about 5 or 6 normal house garages end to end.

Now add on to the basic infrastructure work of the other boards awaiting assembly, all of the detailed scenic work that will be required. A huge task that will take many folk, many years, but in the end what a spectacle it will be.

I agree it would be a shame to bury  it in this thread, so start a topic of its own and we Mods can move all previous posts across into for you with the same time/date stamp to preserve chronology.

The Duke 71000 - I cannot wait to see the completed Basingstoke Station. Farnham MRS used to have an exhibition N gauge layout of Basingstoke Station - it was superb - a lot of measuring! It used to be on their website, but the layout has now been sold and is now in the Isle of Man! BB

I found it - it may help with some pictures? https://farnhammrc.org.uk/?page_id=42

The reason for suggesting Basingstoke was that there were both GWR and SR fans in that group, and Basingstoke was originally a joint GWR/SR station. Problem solved !

The Duke 71000

"Let's see your layouts" !!!

My layout "Basingstoke 1958-67" is a faithful reproduction of this very busy and large location on the 4 track mainline from Waterloo to Bournemouth & Weymouth, & also the West of England line to Salisbury & Exeter.

The layout is oblong in shape and measures 87ft x 25ft. It is of course designed for exhibition use, (around Europe), and consists of 38 x 2 metre (6ft 6in) baseboards. Space for such a large layout is not a problem as I have access to Catalonia's Railway Museum here in Mora la Nova, 25 miles inland from Tarragona.

The only problem here in Spain is that many of the parts necessary to construct a professional layout have to be imported, such as pattern makers alignment dowels to accurately join the baseboards together, & copper clad sleepers for the handbuilt pointwork.

Construction is still underway and in the following Posts you will find the latest developments, almost as they occur.  

forum_image_6047e4efa3b2f.thumb.png.040153ee3931c844a2fa7da017e93687.png Above: One of three stations on the layout, Hook station seen part built, when set up at the Museums open weekend in October 2018. The locomotive is a "OO Works" model of a Drummond D15 4-4-0, and being metal, has no trouble pulling 12 car rakes of Mk1 stock even up gradients !

forum_image_6047e95566275.thumb.png.75ca5a741a2164c0eb41091da1feea26.png

Above: The other small station on the layout "Oakley", which was the first station on the Salisbury line south of Basingstoke. Here the scratchbuilt main station building virtually complete is seen on the workbench.

The Duke 71000 

BASINGSTOKE 1958-67 - The Museum.

To kick start this thread, a couple of pictures of the Museum just to give everyone an idea of what to expect if you happen to be coming our way: Due to the area covered by the Museum we chauffeur you around if you happen to come by train......

Sadly, Oakley Station (depicted in one of your pictures) has long gone. I was in the old yard recently - the station building is still there, but the station yard/area is now a mix of small business's - garden slabs (stone), carpets etc.  The Farnham MRS model of Basingstoke Station was a work of art - you mentioned in was constructed using architects drawings - it really was a "replica" with all the smallest detail depicted.

Alas you're on the money, retirement is some way off for me and as much as I'd love to be involved on such an epic project (the allures of Spain not withstanding!), my time on Furlough is soon to end. My own diminuitive project will be more than an handful, but I'll admire yours from afar.

Sadly, Oakley Station (depicted in one of your pictures) has long gone. I was in the old yard recently - the station building is still there, but the station yard/area is now a mix of small business's - garden slabs (stone), carpets etc. The Farnham MRS model of Basingstoke Station was a work of art - you mentioned in was constructed using architects drawings - it really was a "replica" with all the smallest detail depicted.

Bulleidboy,

Indeed one of the Farnham MRC members worked at Waterloo in the BR buildings department and had access to virtually all the historical plans of all the buildings on the Southern Region. I managed to get a few copies off him at that time, as even then 1991'ish I was thinking I might one day build Basingstoke myself.

BASINGSTOKE 1958-67

As all my early posts about the layout have now been collected here under the "Basingstoke" heading, it has got off to a bit of a confused start. All the photos posted before June, reveal the layout being constructed in a small Industrial unit in the town centre,

BASINGSTOKE 1958-67 - THIS WEEKS LAYOUT PROGRESS.

Back to work and lots of track to lay, so where should I start ? With the Locoshed now complete I decided the trackwork in this area should be started if only to get the positioning correct using the shed as the guide. So......  

BASINGSTOKE 1958-67 - TRACK STUFF.

Very nasty stuff track. I used to get totally confused with all those differently numbered bits, and all the various radii, until I joined a Model Railway Club. Where they pointed out, it is a lot simpler to lay flexi-track, as it goes where you want not where the track wants !!!