BASINGSTOKE 1958-67 (87ft x 25ft)

Just to add to the added weight comments. Do not use PVA to secure lead (Pb) weight of any type, shot, dust, sheet, etc in an enclosed space such as a tender or box van. The lead reacts with the PVA and will expand and distort your vehicle body. UHU type glue does not have the effect.

Thoroughly interesting to read about all the various railroad and modelling elements that have arisen. Keep them coming please.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to add to the added weight comments. Do not use PVA to secure lead (Pb) weight of any type, shot, dust, sheet, etc in an enclosed space such as a tender or box van. The lead reacts with the PVA and will expand and distort your vehicle body. UHU type glue does not have the effect.

Thoroughly interesting to read about all the various railroad and modelling elements that have arisen. Keep them coming please.

RAF96,

If you read back through my various scribblings, you will find I use UHU. For the simple reason that its strong enough to hold various lead bits in place. But weak enough to allow you to simply pull the bits out again later, without damage to bodyshells.

RAF96,

If you read back through my various scribblings, you will find I use UHU. For the simple reason that its strong enough to hold various lead bits in place. But weak enough to allow you to simply pull the bits out again later, without damage to bodyshells.

The Duke 71000   

It was more for the info of others that may not be aware, not you duke. 

RASING-STOKE

The BR standard Class 4 2-6-0 seen below is a white metal & nickel silver kit produced by DJH. Such kits don't normally include motors and wheels. So I ordered "Turned" Romford RP25 Nickel silver wheels to suit the model, and a Portescap RG4 coreless motor with bevel gearbox.

• 1 month later...

Incredilble progress for a one man band Duke. At least the only arguments you will have about who does what is yourself.

I sympathise with your tangle with Spanish bureaucracy as I lived in Cyprus for 10 years, masters of non essential paperwork. A casual friend of ours was asked to get his wife's signature to authorise processing her estate after she had already died.

Duke, as always it's an absolute delight and very informative to read your posts, very interesting about the common return wire being available for all DC circuits as long as it goes back to the respective transformers at the supply end. Don't worry your secret is safe with us. 😎Never mind about taking the layout on tour round Europe, why not find a local AirBnB and get in 10 enthusiasts for a week and charge them £250 each on top  for a model railway construction holiday?! If peco can charge £225 for something really rather basic I think that would be a bargain in terms of knowledge gained.. =sigh= Yes I know, lockdown problems put paid to that idea and probably have to redo all their work anyway that they got wrong!

Duke, as always it's an absolute delight and very informative to read your posts, very interesting about the common return wire being available for all DC circuits as long as it goes back to the respective transformers at the supply end. Don't worry your secret is safe with us. 😎Never mind about taking the layout on tour round Europe, why not find a local AirBnB and get in 10 enthusiasts for a week and charge them £250 each on top for a model railway construction holiday?! If peco can charge £225 for something really rather basic I think that would be a bargain in terms of knowledge gained.. =sigh= Yes I know, lockdown problems put paid to that idea and probably have to redo all their work anyway that they got wrong!

Ducking Giraffe,

Thankyou for the complements.

RASING-STOKE

Building a layout based on a real location requires most of the buildings for such a layout to be scratchbuilt. A somewhat time consuming but unavoidable necessity. Knowing this from the outset, I began the task virtually as soon as layout construction commenced. Indeed the first building "Battledown flyover" was needed fairly quickly as tracklaying couldn't proceeed without the flyover.

BASINGSTOKE 1958-67 – LAYOUT PROGRESS

Another weeks progress, has had to involve solving a problem with the lighting. Some of the lighting which is at least 12ft above the floor was removed before I moved in, so there is a dark area just inside the main sliding door. As you will see in the pictures below, I have built the first of the lighting pelmets for the layout, simply to provide some light in this area. I have also restored some lighting to part of the aluminium offices, the wiring for which had been cut for some unknown reason.

BASINGSTOKE 1958-67 - FISHY POLYSTYRENE !

Progress so far this week is moving along rapidly, with the last glass panes needing to be removed to allow me to reach through to complete track & scenery, having been smashed out. As they turned out to be triple glazed for some odd reason, trying to lift such a weight was to dangerous to attempt.