BASINGSTOKE 1958-67 (87ft x 25ft)

The mods can delete my response about Sam's Trains, everyone who needed to see it has most likely seen it. Plus, I agree with Pirlouit95, it did pollute the thread from what it was about.

I thought it was better to reply on here, as the statement was already on here. I thought it might be weird if I make a random new thread for one reply.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Duke
Was the "weather strip" mounted inside the cab roof and just unrolled and clipped to the tender in some way? It would be easy to replicate on a loco. BB

Bulleidboy 

The Bulleid Q1's and the Pacifics all had a permanent flexible rubber roofs between the Cab roof & the tender roof. I have applied these flexible roofs to my Pacific's but haven't yet added it to either of my Q1's. More Details below. 

I've often wondered about making / installing weather coverings.

Any 'tracks' I have have only been temporary with perhaps 3rd radius where 4th not possible, so overhang is an issue.

For this I was wondering if there's a superfine, lycra-type fibre to permit easy articulation.

Al.

I've often wondered about making / installing weather coverings.

Any 'tracks' I have have only been temporary with perhaps 3rd radius where 4th not possible, so overhang is an issue.
For this I was wondering if there's a superfine, lycra-type fibre to permit easy articulation.

Al.

Al,

You guessed right. There is a lycra type extremly fine mesh material, suitable for modelling uses.

BASINGSTOKE 1958-67 - LAYOUT LOCOMOTIVE FLEET - BR types.

On the formation of British Railways in 1948, one of the major tasks was to begin designing a new fleet of locomotives, for the varied jobs required. From the humble shunting loco through to the Express passenger type.

Hi 71k, are they fixed rakes your stock is hauling now - prototypical?

Must admit I've grown to like the 'British Standard' locomotives - always liked the Brits, 4MT's and 9F's, but I'm appreciating the smaller ones more than I have previously - looking great.

Al.

Hi 71k, are they fixed rakes your stock is hauling now - prototypical?

Must admit I've grown to like the 'British Standard' locomotives - always liked the Brits, 4MT's and 9F's, but I'm appreciating the smaller ones more than I have previously - looking great.

Al.

Al.

Most of my Bachmann Southern coaches, had to be repainted. Because every Bachmann batch production of Bullied or Mk1 coaches. Has for the last 20 odd years come painted in a slightly darker green than the previous production. So every Southern train of Bachmann coaches looked like a patchwork quilt ! 

BASINGSTOKE 1958-67 - LAYOUT LOCOMOTIVE FLEET - Modern traction diesels.

One of the reasons for choosing the last 10 years of steam on the Southern (1958-67), also allows for the arrival of both diesel and electric traction at Basingstoke, within this period. In fact the first diesels to be seen at Basingstoke regularly, were Western Region Diesel Mechanical Multiple Units on Saturdays in 1957. By 1960 an increasing number of Diesel locomotives were also to be found on Inter-Regional workings. In 1961 the first of the new BRCW Sulzer Types 3 (later Class 33) also began to appear mainly on freight, as they had Electric Train Heating (ETH) and the coaching stock didn't ! So they only appeared on passenger trains during the summer. 

BASINGSTOKE 1958-67

So after waiting three weeks, in traditional Spanish "manana manana" Fashion. The final layout baseboards were finally brought back to the workshop Thursday. Just in time it seems. As the room the layout has been in since last October, in the museums new extension. Is leaking like a sieve when it rains, and boiling like an oven when its sunny. It seems the builders forgot to install any type of waterproofing, or heat insulation to reduce the effects of the sun boiling the roof....

STOKE

The last item, not covered in the previous article, is the mechanism used to obtain PRECISION alignment of baseboards, EVERY TIME, when they are joined together. Just a 0.5mm misalignment will derail your trains every time. So the system needed must itself be PRECISE every time. There is only one system that actually meets this mechanical engineering requirement and these are: "Pattern Makers Steel Alignment Dowels". Normal "Alignment Dowels" are NOT precise, and have up to 1 mm of slop between the male and female parts, and are therefore useless for this job. 

RASINGSTOKE

My requirement for my model locos, is that they will be tasked with pulling real life loads equivalent to what they were seen to haul at Basingstoke during the era I model. So up to 12/13 coach trains. This reveals that many of Hornby's tender locos are too light, and oddly have lots of air space inside ! Another minor problem is that the increasing number of accessories for the purchaser to fit, although highly accurate are very fragile (plastic) and prone to damage when you actually start running the model.

RASING-STOKE

y Japanese locomotive was choosen as the subject to model. To prove to numerous Model Engineering Clubs that whilst steam locomotives are very nice. The cost, time, and skill to build such steam models, makes it unlikely Model Engineering Clubs will survive in the long term. There being fewer and fewer model engineers. So opening the door to quality modern traction such as demonstrated by my loco, will help attract younger people to join such Clubs. A friend of mine also built a super detailed model of a Warship to prove the same point, and we toured around a number of clubs demonstrating our locos potential. 

RASING-STOKE

A potted History of the early years.

At the time of Queen Victoria’s death in 1902, London was beginning to expand quite rapidly. Changes in demographics, life styles & the economic situation was beginning to prove troublesome for the three major railway Company’s south of London. These being in order of size: the London & South Western Railway (L&SWR); The South Eastern & Chatham Railway (SE&CR) and the London Brighton & South Coast Railway . 

Lot's of interesting information here!!

That larger scale 'Blue Thunder' - interesting in the use of belt drive - I suppose it can cushion some 'shock' from normal operation - must need fairly regular reviews.

I've added a fair amount of Pb in my Spam Can locomotives as well - normally it's a piece of sheet Pb. cut, then folded to fit appropriately just inside.

The motors are very good on these generally, but I wonder sometimes when we should limit the loadings - weight added / train size.

When running, to you increase up to perhaps 50 or 70, or occasionally 'go all out' to maximum ~100mph scale and how long do you run for?

(A couple of years ago, I calculated a scale 100mph at 1:76.2 was ~2.3 of 63'6" coaches per second.)

Al.

That larger scale 'Blue Thunder' - interesting in the use of belt drive - I suppose it can cushion some 'shock' from normal operation - must need fairly regular reviews.
 I've added a fair amount of Pb in my Spam Can locomotives as well - normally it's a piece of sheet Pb. cut, then folded to fit appropriately just inside.
The motors are very good on these generally, but I wonder sometimes when we should limit the loadings - weight added / train size.
When running, do you increase up to perhaps 50 or 70, or occasionally 'go all out' to maximum ~100mph scale and how long do you run for?

Al.

Al,

My 5" gauge "Blue Thunder". The belts seen are reinforced with some type of steel wire. Doing the load test at the "Strawberry line" near Bath with 48 kids and 2 adults stretched two of the bands. But it only took a few minutes to change each one, and they weren't expensive. There is no actual suspension on the bogies, only dummy suspension to make the bogies look more realistic. The only suspension was a strong spring around each bogie pivot, between the bogie and the chassis cross member.