BASINGSTOKE 1958-67 (87ft x 25ft)

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fabulous layout - glad to see you have managed to reinstate Worting Junction - only a couple of hundred yards from my house - with Worting Village about the same distance. There is a footbridge crossing the junction - popular place for photographers when something "special" is coming through. 

Nearly finished then Duke  😆

Wish it was a bit nearer, would love to see it when completed. 

Walkingthedog....

Some ways to go yet ! I'll, just have to keep the pictures flowing to keep you updated with progress. When Coronavirus gets the push, you'll have to get a cheap flight  

Fabulous layout - glad to see you have managed to reinstate Worting Junction - only a couple of hundred yards from my house - with Worting Village about the same distance. There is a footbridge crossing the junction - popular place for photographers when something "special" is coming through.

Bulleidboy,
Thanks again for the complements.

• 3 weeks later...

RASINGSTOKE - Coronavirus hits – Again !

What a great idea. Dump the wicked Spanish telephone company who are now charging nearly a £1 per minute for landline calls to Britain.

So having remembered the Museum have a few computers & internet, a few minutes drive gets me back online. Without further ado, there is a little catching up to do. Which might not follow in a number of Posts...

Great progress Duke.

Track building looks terribly easy when someone else is doing it. If I tried it would take me all day to turn out a dogs dinner.

Whilst not a cork underlay user any more, I have used bits of old laminated chipboard as dead flat weights to hold cork in place until the glue sets.

BASINGSTOKE 1958-67 - TRAINS ON THE MOVE.  

So having got my fingers sore building the junction pointwork (see previous lost post). I decided maybe I should see if the little Oakley station control panel still worked. This part of the layout was wired a couple of years ago and taken to the Barcelona show to try an encourage more visitors to the Museum....   

Great progress Duke.

Track building looks terribly easy when someone else is doing it. If I tried it would take me all day to turn out a dogs dinner.

RAF96,    You'll have to pop by the Museum next summer. It should only take me an afternoon to turn you into an expert point builder. It really is a lot simpler than many think. The hardest part is literally learning how to hold and use the soldering iron properly !!!!    

No impatience here, I appreciate the reports of progress as it comes.

Interesting as it would be to visit ... and I would love to spend time helping out but...

...my passport and EHIC card have both expired and I have little desire to carry on being a traveller at my age.

...I have to discipline myself to get on with my own project ahead of volunteering to help others.

Many thanks for the offer anyhow.

I love seeing huge layouts evolve - and particularly liking the way entire rakes of coaches almost disappear when the near-full aspect / length of the layout is portrayed.

Keep them coming and keep developming the layout - itching to see some scenery and rolling hills, or industrial areas appearing ...

Al.

Thanks for all the pictures - I like the last one showing the loco shed. By the time I came to Basingstoke (1971) the shed was long gone. Nice surprise yesterday, the HST, painted up as the Midland Blue Pullman, came through Worting on its way back to Eastleigh - not as good as a Merchant Navy, but nice to see. BB

PS: There has been recent talk (again!!) of re-opening Oakley Station - this was originally suggested as Manydown will have 3500 new houses within close proximity of the railway. You will probably be aware that a "parkway" was also suggested sometime ago, this would be on the Basingstoke side of the "split" in the track at Battledown.  However BR said it will not happen - so not sure why it's been resurrected - also the bridge at Worting will not be renewed - it's a serious bottleneck on what is really the western ringroad. BB

I love seeing huge layouts evolve - and particularly liking the way entire rakes of coaches almost disappear when the near-full aspect / length of the layout is portrayed.

Keep them coming and keep developming the layout - itching to see some scenery and rolling hills, or industrial areas appearing ...

Al.

atom3624.

Thanks Al.

Thanks for all the pictures - I like the last one showing the loco shed. By the time I came to Basingstoke (1971) the shed was long gone. Nice surprise yesterday, the HST, painted up as the Midland Blue Pullman, came through Worting on its way back to Eastleigh - not as good as a Merchant Navy, but nice to see. BB

PS: There has been recent talk (again!!) of re-opening Oakley Station - this was originally suggested as Manydown will have 3500 new houses within close proximity of the railway. You will probably be aware that a "parkway" was also suggested sometime ago, this would be on the Basingstoke side of the "split" in the track at Battledown. However BR said it will not happen - so not sure why it's been resurrected - also the bridge at Worting will not be renewed - it's a serious bottleneck on what is really the western ringroad. BB

Bulleidboy

More pics in the pipeline.

Indeed BR didn't think reopening Oakley was worth it, as everyone had a car, and Oakley was too near a developing Basingstoke. Obviously if Oakley is now itself expanding, BR has gone, and the Ministry now control the "thought processes", 3500 extra houses changes the "ball game" !