BASINGSTOKE 1958-67 (87ft x 25ft)

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jest and COVID aside, I would love to visit!!

I previously worked on a mine near Almeria - if I remember you're in Spain somewhere?
This was quite a while ago - just over 30 years!

Al.

Al,

The Museum is officially open for visitors only at weekends, as restoration work inside the main building is underway during the week.

For numerous reasons (the new museum extension roof leaks) my layout is currently in a (dry) industrial unit, about half a mile from the station on the local industrial estate.

I lived and worked in Basingstoke for about 10 years in the 1970's.

I remember organising an exercise for the Fire Service and Ambulance Service in the sidings above the allotments outside the station at Basingstoke.

Carriages were brought in and parked up that had been "Crushed & damaged" by the engineers department,along with drill dummies trapped in various locations waiting to be rescued / retrieved.

A great deal of information and learning was achieved by many of those who attended.

Also, two men I worked with, their father was a driver at the Basingstoke shed.

I now spend a fair amount of time living between the UK and Spain. My Spanish house is in the bottom end of Murcia Region and is about a 6 - 7 hour drive away. But I am hopeful that when the "State of Alarm" is over I may be able to arrange the journey and see this wonderful layout.

So keep up the fantastic work that you are doing Duke, as I hope to see you and the layout sometime in the not too distant future. 😎

I lived and worked in Basingstoke for about 10 years in the 1970's.
I remember organising an exercise for the Fire Service and Ambulance Service in the sidings above the allotments outside the station at Basingstoke.
Carriages were brought in and parked up that had been "Crushed & damaged" by the engineers department,along with drill dummies trapped in various locations waiting to be rescued / retrieved.
A great deal of information and learning was achieved by many of those who attended.
Also, two men I worked with, their father was a driver at the Basingstoke shed.
I now spend a fair amount of time living between the UK and Spain. My Spanish house is in the bottom end of Murcia Region and is about a 6 - 7 hour drive away. But I am hopeful that when the "State of Alarm" is over I may be able to arrange the journey and see this wonderful layout.
So keep up the fantastic work that you are doing Duke, as I hope to see you and the layout sometime in the not too distant future. 😎

Joe,

Your most welcome. The Museum is officially open at weekends. During the week restoration work in the main building means visitors aren't officially allowed in !

Wonderful pictures as usual Duke. Thankyou. Have you any thoughts about installing smoke units on any of your locos ?  I know there are mixed opinions about these but a couple of steaming locos would look superb on your vast layout.

BTW I often travelled on the Waterloo-Bournemouth route in the 70's but never had the experience of journeying in the comfort of the Pullman services, mainly because they were not very well publicised. (at least that is my excuse). My company would gladly have footed the bill I'm sure, as it was usually on the final lap of a tiring trip from overseas. So I missed out on something good.

Wonderful pictures as usual Duke. Thankyou. Have you any thoughts about installing smoke units on any of your locos ? I know there are mixed opinions about these but a couple of steaming locos would look superb on your vast layout.
BTW I often travelled on the Waterloo-Bournemouth route in the 70's but never had the experience of journeying in the comfort of the Pullman services, mainly because they were not very well publicised. (at least that is my excuse). My company would gladly have footed the bill I'm sure, as it was usually on the final lap of a tiring trip from overseas. So I missed out on something good.

Jimbopuff,

Smoke units, love to install such things when someone makes one that actually works realistically in tune with the motion of the cylinders. Not forgetting that there are 2; 3 & 4 cylinder types. So 2 puffs per revolution of the driving wheels for 2 cylinder types, 3 puffs for 3 cylinders...etc.

A similar problem exists with steam loco sound systems. Not in tune with the speed of the wheel rotation & cylinder action, and to be honest the small speakers used are just not up to the throaty bark of a steam loco under heavy load......

Having said that, there is no reason why both sound & smoke can not be co-ordinated correctly. If only a locomotive engineer could sit down with a digital engineer and put their heads together......

Wonderful pictures as usual Duke. Thankyou. Have you any thoughts about installing smoke units on any of your locos ? I know there are mixed opinions about these but a couple of steaming locos would look superb on your vast layout.

Jimbopuff,

Smoke units, love to install such things when someone makes one that actually works realistically in tune with the motion of the cylinders. Not forgetting that there are 2; 3 & 4 cylinder types. So 2 puffs per revolution of the driving wheels for 2 cylinder types, 3 puffs for 3 cylinders...etc.

A similar problem exists with steam loco sound systems. Not in tune with the speed of the wheel rotation & cylinder action, and to be honest the small speakers used are just not up to the throaty bark of a steam loco under heavy load......

Duke

In the middle 70's one of the ESSO Oil trains had to pull into the sidings at Micheldever as two of the tankers had sprung leaks.

A vast amount of oil had leaked out in the sidings causing fears of fire & explosion.

A chap named Richard Hoyle from the Hampshire Fire Brigade waded through the oil and managed to stem the leaks from the tankers thereby saving much of the load and reducing the ongiong risk of fire or explosion.

Many of these trains used to park up in the sidings at Basingstoke overnight. We used to get notifications from BR when this occured.

Joe H

Duke

In the middle 70's one of the ESSO Oil trains had to pull into the sidings at Micheldever as two of the tankers had sprung leaks.
A vast amount of oil had leaked out in the sidings causing fears of fire & explosion.
A chap named Richard Hoyle from the Hampshire Fire Brigade waded through the oil and managed to stem the leaks from the tankers thereby saving much of the load and reducing the ongiong risk of fire or explosion.
Many of these trains used to park up in the sidings at Basingstoke overnight. We used to get notifications from BR when this occured.
Joe H

Joe,

Sounds more like a shunter at the Fawley plant didn't close the valve(s) properly when filling......

Duke

Joe H

Joe,

Sounds more like a shunter at the Fawley plant didn't close the valve(s) properly when filling......

BASINGSTOKE 1958-67 - RARE LOCOMOTIVE MODELS.

Seen below, are a few rare models, all of them are kit, scratch built, or heavily modified items. Indeed some of them are virtually unique, as the commercial manufacturers still have a long way to go, before they have produced all of Britains large express passenger steam types, never mind the Goods and smaller types....   

BASINGSTOKE 1958-67 - Winter is coming, don't freeze your locos. 

Not much layout progress this weekend. Having realised that if I'm going to be stuck in this workshop for a couple of years, as COVID 19 has seriously delayed the reconstruction of the building at the station, intended for my layout and an HO layout based on Mora la Nova. I need to "beef up" my office. The first problem being where do I put all the boxes, for the rolling stock I have been gleefully unpacking and posing on the layout ? 

BASINGSTOKE 1958-67 - INDIVIDUALISING YOUR LOCOS.

Something to do during the COVID 19 epidemic, or even over Christmas !!!

Obviously as "Basingstoke 1958-67" is intended as an exhibition layout, you can't run trains simply "out of the packet". Visitors to exhibitions expect to be entertained by something a little more sophisticated than what they can achieve themselves at home. So Model Railway Club layouts tend to predominate, and demonstrate the skills of the more advanced modeller, with quality layouts, and of course rolling stock....