Hornby Sentinel Noise

Noob101

Hey guys. I'm new to model trains and this forum. I just purchased a new Hornby Sentinel. Running it for the first time I noticed that it makes a loud clicking noise when running. However it only does it when it is running forwards (long bonnet end) Has anyone had this happen with their Sentinel or does anyone know what the problem may be? (Link to a video of the noise) 

https://youtu.be/LpeX1RvkOCc

Whilst you wait for a reply, perhaps you would spend a few minutes reviewing the TIPs in the TIP page link below:

TIP: As a newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

Firstly - it's a shunter, not a racing car! You are running it way too fast - but it IS your railway!

That knocking sounds like something catching somewhere, but the camera was too far away, and the model too fast, to see what or where.

As it is new - take it back, tell them it is faulty, and ask for a replacement.

It might be something silly that can be fixed in seconds,if you know what you are doing, but you say you are a new modeller. If you take the 'lid' off and start poking about inside, you will void the guarantee.

Is it just the wheels going over the fishplates (rail joiners)? Sometimes they can be quite audible, especially when they start to become loose and move further apart. If they are slack, try squeezing the fishplates in a little so they grip the rails tighter.

Check inside the loco by removing the body - is anything loose, or has something become loose / unclipped from it's housing?

Have the connecting rods bent when being handled? Check here for a link to a similar problem.

14xx Tank 

Sorry about running it fast I just wanted the noise to be caught in the audio and as the speed goes up so does the noise. At scale speeds it is just noticeable but I'd be lying if I said it doesn't bother me. I don't think it is the rail joiners because it doesn't make the noise going forward with the smaller bonnet end.

OK. Is it the pickups on the wheels that get forced towards something when running forwards, like a plastic ledge, and pickups constantly being forced into it could produce the clicking noise you mention? This would explain why it was louder at faster speeds, and would also explain why it only produced the sound in a particular direction (in the opposite direction, the pickups would slightly move the other way).

14xx Tank

P.S Thanks to the Com Mod who sorted my duplicated posts.

The wheel wipers often get a bit distorted so in one direction they are fine but in the other they can catch on wheel spokes, etc.

Tip it over and apply a 9 volt bartery to the wheels and look at the wheel wipers as it runs. A fairly flat battery works well as it keeps the speed down more.

A clickable Link... https://youtu.be/LpeX1RvkOCc

Also I've got the 'Westcoast Highlander' & 'Smokey Joe'  😎 Look after them & in time build up your Track & Locos / Rolling Stock & in time & b4 you know it - you will have more Locos & rolling Stock than Track like the most of us!!!

Check the coupling on the back of the Loco - is it touching the track??? It has happen to be b4 a few times