Need guidance on automating points

Will Hay

Hello.

I'm planning to automate a series of points at two ends of my layout.

I want to use the surface mounted hornby types, and make it as simple as possible.

Do I simply need sufficent point motors and a R8247 decoder for each of the four points I want to automate?

Additionally, can I configure the points to be operated via a spare select controller I intend to piggy back off my main controller?

Is it that simple?

I just need to ensure I'm ordering something efficient materials, and assume I don't need a CDU if I'm using the Hornby R2847,?

Thanks.

Do I simply need sufficient point motors and a R8247 decoder for each of the four points I want to automate?

Each R8247 has four ports. Thus one R8247 per four points plus one point motor per point. It is also technically possible to wire two point motors in parallel to one R8247 port. To operate a cross-over for example between two different tracks.

Additionally, can I configure the points to be operated via a spare select controller I intend to piggy back off my main controller? .....Is it that simple?

Not so simple!. It depends what your main controller is .... you haven't said. You can only connect a Select to either another master Select or an Elite (nothing else). The Select then has to connect to the master controller in 'Walkabout' mode. This implements certain limitations. Firstly, the Select must not be connected to its own PSU in Walkabout mode. It has to get its power from the master controller via a R8266 cable. Secondly, if you use the Select as a 'Walkabout' you can only use it to operate points that have been configured to have DCC Addresses in the 061 to 099 numerical range.

......and assume I don't need a CDU if I'm using the Hornby R2847?

The R8247 has an integral CDU, not a very good one but it has one. You cannot connect an external CDU directly to a R8247. So your assumption is correct.

By ‘automate my points’ it is presumed you mean can I operate them remotely using my DCC controller and not run them on an automatic sequence under some form of computer control.

Thank you, Chris.

I use a Select as my main controller, with a 4a PSU.

I have a second Select I've never used.

I'm contemplating an Elite or NCR Powercab but this is unlikely, given how much I've already spent on what is now an 8.5m2 layout.

RAF

I thought I was pretty clear.

"...can I configure the points to be operated via a spare select controller I intend to piggy back off my main controller?