Select Firmware Upgrade Q's

Kevin Hodges

Only the Elite has downloadable firmware for DIY at home installation. The Select can only be upgraded by Hornby. Therefore there are no links to give you.

The current installed firmware is displayed as the very first number to briefly appear on the Select screen as it is being powered up. Expect to see a number between 10 and 20. At the time of writing, the latest version is 1.6 [16] or 2.0 [20] - both the same. These latest versions completely transform the user experience of the Select controller and add the ability to write (not read) all CVs.

The upgrade charge is typically £15 plus VAT [£18] plus your sending postage costs. You need to get a 'returns number' from Hornby Customer Services - see 'Contact Us' link at the very bottom of the page.

If you do arrange to get your Select firmware upgraded, then you will need both the Select version 1.5 full manual and the version 1.6 addendum manual. As the operation of your Select (how to use it) will be completely different in certain areas of operation compared to your current firmware version.

You can download these two manual PDFs from here:

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/downloads/view/index/cat/12/

If nothing appears to happen, check your nominated browser download folder for the files as they can download silently in the background.

Kevins reply reposted to remove the unneccessary quote. Kevin wrote after using the 'blue button'.

That's exactly what I wanted to know. Where/how to send it etc.

Many Thanks

Kev

• 4 months later...

Incorrect

The sequence is 1x 30 03 or possibly  20 30 03

1x will any number between 10 and 16.

20 is the same as 16 but seen on the 2019 facelift (shiny chrome bits) model.

1x is the firmware version (updatable by Hornby), 30 is the hardware version (fixed) and 03 is confirmation it has booted and is ready to operate loco 3.

Chris B, given the first number you see is 10, that means your firmware version is v1.0. This is very old and you would do well to return to Hornby for upgrade to latest v1.6.  Instructions from Chris in answer to the OP tell you how to do that. 

Might I also suggest that, in future you start your different topic in a new thread rather than putting it on the end of someone else's. As it is, yours is hidden in the OP's thread where it may be missed.  I would have done this with the title "What is my Select Firmware Version?".  That way, with the title asking exactly what you want to know, you maximise your chances of getting replies to your question.

....if my Select starts up 10, 20, 30 then it is up to date with the latest firmware?

Your question was actually answered in my reply to the OPs question when I wrote - see below

/media/tinymce_upload/1343878137a4cf263d3744b8ef487d37.jpg