Airfix 1/72 Kamov Ka-25 Hormone 03042

Hi All

it's been a while since I've posted a build on the forum, as I've been mainly building other manufacturers products for the last few months. To change that, and for a relatively out of the box build, I pulled this kit out of the loft. I brought it when it was newly released, and as the stamp on the underside of the cabin floor says 'CPG CORP 1983' that's been in my stash for a long time.

/media/tinymce_upload/60ed980b9fb827a655c45888970cb24c.jpg

This boxing of the kit provides parts for the Hormone A (Ka-25BSh) anti sub warfare version in Yugoslav air force service grey, and Hormone C (Ka-25PS) transport/ search and rescue version in Soviet red and white. I intend to make the 'A' version in grey, but in Soviet markings. However I may change my mind later.

/media/tinymce_upload/8d6226e2c745de3cce29fc05064a2d18.jpg

Decals are very old and yellowed. I will try to rescue the Soviet Navy Flags, but the rest of the markings will come from the spares box. The colour call outs are given in the old Airfix paints, with a Humbrol conversion provided, and are slate grey or red and white all over, black tires and gun metal rotor head and blades, and that's it, apart from the crew faces in flesh!

For a kit brought out in 1983, with no assistance from the manufacturer of the helicopter I would think, it's not too bad at all. The cockpit is nicely detailed with instrument panel with moulded on dials (though I think the aircrew would probably needed more than 5 instruments!), and the sticks and collectives are very finely done. The main cabin on the other hand has a floor and a seat for the electronics operator and that's it. You can model the main cabin door open, but I think it will stay shut. Surface detail is finely raised lines, no rivets, and is quiet nice. The main transparencies for the cockpit are okay, but for all the other windows they are over thick and all have sink marks in the middle. A winch is included, as well as a dipping sonar, search lights, buoy dispenser, and some weapons scabbed onto the side, which could be small torpedoes, depth charges or more sonar buoys. Anyone with details of what these are, and colour call out for them please let me know.

The first issue I had on checking the parts was that half of one of the main wheels had gone  missing in the years since I purchased the kit. A hunt through the spares box for a likely replacement found an old Airfix Spitfire Mk I half wheel that was approximately the correct size.

/media/tinymce_upload/aebb1c7a09b3935d0fc06197a34a219b.jpg

The remaining kit wheel is in the middle, with the replacement Spitfire wheel on the right in light blue.

/media/tinymce_upload/761a4be4e52f4ae6dac3b560864ccc39.jpg

The Spitfire wheel was glued in place, and sanded to shape, the bracket was made from plastic card, and the bolt on the end from a small piece of plastic rod. It's not perfect, but it will do.

/media/tinymce_upload/e8f67aea93ce8a0fc588cd580a0bf003.jpg

The internals were constructed next and fitted together well. The next thing will be to search the internet for some internal colour ideas, so far I've found out that the cockpit floor and crew cushions are brick red and the rest a medium grey.

More to follow soon.

The internals have been painted in a basic scheme of medium grey, with rust red cockpit floor and back cushions, khaki seat cushions and details picked out in black. I haven't bothered with any weathering or embellishments, as not much is seen anyhow. I might put in some masking tape lap straps later, no shoulder harnesses were fitted. Some sections of fuselage had to be cut out for radar and sonar fittings specific to this version, but these were marked on the inside, so not a big issue.

/media/tinymce_upload/f03466dab9d6d0624d3ab17f73e91eaf.jpg

The nose radar and weapons pannier were also prepared at this point.

The fuselage went together pretty easily with a few clamps. The weapons pannier has covered up most of the under fuselage join, so that's saved some sanding. That thing on the side with 3 holes is a sonar buoy dispenser I think.

/media/tinymce_upload/21291f2cecf0b3912ac27f179bf10551.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/2cea7e385c7200a940c5b46ed564ef32.jpg

Next task will be cleaning up the joint lines and adding the tail and undercarriage.

I seem to be making pretty rapid progress for me on this one!

The seams were sanded down rapidly with wet and dry, and only a little filler was needed on the top of the engine compartment. The worst fitting parts of the whole kit by far were the engine intake and exhaust at the rear of the engine compartment. A fair bit of fettling had to take place, especially around the intakes.

The main undercarriage was tricky to fit, but went on okay in the end, and is stronger than it looks. The tail was next, and these were fine to assemble.

/media/tinymce_upload/3c9a0bf83cfb0eec6209beeb85faf957.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/032d6920044ada614ee77d236813b977.jpg

A bit of filler around that top radome, but that was down to me. Intakes still need blending in in these photos.

/media/tinymce_upload/442896bc1e561fc0e6b086cb2363c078.jpg

The rotor mast was also assembled, without rotors, 12 parts in this. Unfortunately it cannot be made to rotate  ☹️

I'm ready for the painting now, will post again when the main scheme is on.

A 22 Sqn 'what-if'? Well I suppose it does look a bit like a Whirlwind with that undercarriage. It sort of has the feeling of an insect to it, a bit like a fat bee! 

Anyway, basic painting is done, a few more bits added and ready for decals (all 6 of them). The colours on the weapons on the sides are completely made up, as I could find no reference to them on the 'net.

/media/tinymce_upload/67e37e3ebff98ca906b050a3f0e6f18b.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/d5766126ded5580b9c285379e90bbf58.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/f6f05ea477e78babc7a86cb89fc1203f.jpg

I shall be searching my decal bank this evening looking for suitable replacement red stars and bort numbers.

Thanks Chris, praise indeed from yourself!

I had a look through the decal bank and found these, the original kit decals are bottom right.

/media/tinymce_upload/d95cb0707b5abf1d2649b75695a5986d.jpg

I chose to only use the Navy flags from the kit sheet. These were trimmed as close as possible to the design to hide the yellowed carrier film. When I put them on however they were still very brittle, and great care and much decal softener was used. The rest of the markings (the yellow 15 and red stars) came from a Hobby Boss YaK-3 kit I think.

/media/tinymce_upload/b9e91cf84bccf015d1afeb2bee43fc68.jpg

The last of the aerials and pitot were then attached and painted, leaving only a little weathering and a matt coat for the main body of the Kamov. I must finish painting up the rotor blades now.

My 'Hormone' is now complete. The rotor blades took some painting and masking, with the lower blades being black on top and grey underneath, while the upper ones were grey on top and black underneath. I had to be careful i was working with the correct set! To start off with the tip of each blade was painted white then a thin strip masked off, then the main blade colours painted, and finally the leading edge masked off and painted aluminium. Luckily when all the masking came off there was not too much touching up to do. Lastly the cockpit doors went on in leaving them slightly open, and the lights were painted in.

/media/tinymce_upload/45fbc0668cad7aef398aea155c5d0ac5.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/a0aec3b2e7b13d5eb2b38e977f76772f.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/e157f55a4cc3ff536cf6c462deb65487.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/2ab6fd3ca9c6aff876e9c6d36502c355.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/194e93565b3e41460b30f90f24d1b145.jpg

I've been really pleased with the way this kit has turned out straight from the box, except for the decals. it's a good basic model for something that first came out in 1983. There's plenty of scope if you wish to super detail it, but it's still nice as it is. Maybe a candidate for the vintage classics range?

That suddenly went together and made a really nice little model! Great job.

I saw a real one in Newcastle when I was a student. Some Russian sailor had fallen off his mast and smashed his legs up and the Russian Navy asked if they could transfer him to a British hospital. This huge twin rotor helicopter with red stars all over it was NOT what I expected to see land next to the medical school! That was Yeltsin era when we were clearly being nicer to each other.

• 2 weeks later...