Hornby R3738s Gold plating

I know the Hornby flying scotsman instructions say that if you run it the Gold will wear which is probably true, but does anyone here run there's, if so please tell me how does the gold on there's react. If it wears down, how fast does it wear down. I need a Answer Urgently because I want to gets for a gift for someone. 

Gold is a very soft metal that wears away quickly, which is why it is mixed with other metals for jewellery purposes. (Measured in karats - the bigger the number, the more gold)

Gold plate is a very thin skin of gold laid over a base metal. The thickness is measured in microns.

Exactly how thick one micron is - I don't know - maybe a scientist can advise on that.

So, yes - running your model will wear the gold away, down to the base metal. How fast depends on the hardness and thickness of the plating.

The diameter human hair is 70 microns, for reference. Imagine one hair being 70 times smaller than that, and that is one micron. Even if the gold plate was at 70 microns, it is still extremely thin, and will most likely wear away noticeably even with short periods of running. 

I believe the plating on this edition of FS is 18 carat.

1 micron and up is considered to be good quality, and 2.5 microns and up is classed as heavy gold plating.

I take it you are talking about the gold plating on the limited edition of Flying Scotsman when it was in America, with the large cowcatcher and lamp fitted to the front?

100% Au = 24 carat.

18 carat is effectively 'hardened' a little, typically with Cu.

1000 mm in 1 metre.

1000 microns in 1 mm.

Your locomotive, your call.

JJ runs his Mallard despite being ordered not to!!

Joking aside, it is your locomotive so do precisely what you will with it. The Au will wear off the contact surfaces, leaving the plating base beneath.

Al.

I'm sure it will still look fantastic. Maybe check

to see how it looks when running - it might help with the decision, as Shakepeare once said, "To run or not to run". 

Also check the link above to read some of the comments, they might also be useful. Some of them are just having a moan, but read the replies from Hattons (please don't tell me off Com Mods, it is a Hornby Product after all!)

14xx Tank