Airliner painting and cabin windows

Cliverdee

Hi, I'm going to have a go at an airliner and wonder what the best way is to get a reasonably good finish for the fuselage. Is it best to fix in the windows first, then glue the fuselage halves together and sand the join to a smooth finish before spraying white gloss .. and if so whats the best way to cover the windows from the paint. Is Maskol a good choice or cutting masking tape to the window size?. Alternatively does anyone recommend spraying the fuselage halves first, then fixing in the windows and tidying up the join afterwards followed by respraying  the area over the join. I normally brush paint everything with enamels but have found white gives a poor uneven finish with a brush hence using one of the aerosol cans ... I've used these Humbrol cans before on a Vostok which turned out well and gave an even smooth finish, so think these would be acceptable to my eye...Its mostly the window issue and whether to fix these in before any painting that  I'm pondering on ! ... the kits on my shelf to make are the 1:72 Heron and the 1:144 Vanguard & Caravelle. Many thanks for advice .. much appreciated. 

Another way is make and complete the fuselage without the cabin windows.  When everything is dry get a cocktail stick and a clear glue (Like Kristal Klear) and put them back in one at a time.  It does work - honestly.

Try it on a window before you do anything, let it dry and it dries clear.  You will find lots of videos on the web.

Thanks for info & suggestion for the windows... I've just seen that I've got to create my own for the Caravelle anyhow as they are not provided, and helpfully the instruction sheet show the technique for using Clearfix after poking holes through the solid decal line that covers the portholes. I'll perhaps see how that goes before thinking of trying my 'skill' on the larger windows of the Heron...and yes I would guess that those brands providing a decal sheet including windows would make life a lot simpler... wonder If they look as good though? ... thanks again

Decal sheets with windows are normally replicated in black. Often if you look at a window from a distance it can appear like a black hole so in 1:144th Scale it can be quite effective.

Just like on the Airfix Concorde, no windows are provided or sugggested but the apertures are so small the black void still creates the realistic appearance of windows! 

I'll perhaps see how that goes before thinking of trying my 'skill' on the larger windows of the Heron

Personally I'd regard the Heron glazing as too large to attempt in white glue or Clearfix. I would use the kit parts and mask them. If all that masking is a bit daunting I would suggest you have a look at the Maketar Canopy Survival Kit. This consists of sheets of Washi tape pre-cut into shapes and includes squares with rounded corners that could be adapted for the Heron glazing. It's quite expensive but you get all sorts of squares, triangles, arcs etc that will be useful for dozens of projects.

• 2 years later...

Hi there! When it comes to achieving a smooth finish on the fuselage of an airliner model, there are a few approaches you can consider. One common method is to fix the windows in place before gluing the fuselage halves together. This allows you to sand the join and ensure a seamless look. To protect the windows from paint, you can use masking tape or specialized masking liquid like Maskol. Both options can work well, so it depends on your personal preference and experience.

Alternatively, some modelers prefer to spray the fuselage halves separately before attaching the windows. This approach allows for easier masking and touch-up work around the join after assembly. If you decide to go this route, ensure that the windows are masked off properly to prevent overspray.It seems to me that the aluminum window manufacturer like this https://alumglass.eu/ is much easier than this one. Because I had the same problem and wasted a lot of time

I prefer leaving the windows open and completing the build and paint job. They I use White Glue - PVA applied with a toothpick to seal the openings. The glue is white when you apply it and as it dries it turns clear....... well almost clear.... but that is fine. It gives a bit of reflection like glass and you can look through it .....but not well enough to see there are no seats in the plane! The great thing is that you end up with a perfect paint job around the windows.

This is my HP 42.

forum_image_647c6d7f43b70.thumb.png.7dc003557dc274cc30586eda8f517058.png

As Ratch said many airliner kits (not the Airfix ones) come with decals for the windows and no window openings in the fuselage. In the case of the Airfix ones you could actually block up the windows and have a perfectly smooth fuselage then buy aftermarket decals which include windows. They are actually quite good. Some show the windows with closed sun shades, partially closed sunshades and open ones. The effect can be quite good. This is a Viscount with decals for the windows.

forum_image_647c6f7a3766a.thumb.png.4b2b645c16e79aefdaed31274d7887dd.png