Brewster Buffalo F2A-2 (#02050-1) 1980 [1:72]

Aussie Jeff

Well, I finally completed something! After a long hiatus due to a number of unfortunate events I decided to knock up a old kit I picked up on eBay to try and get my mojo back.

This Brewster Buffalo F2A-2 from 1980. The kit wasn't in the best condition and the broken prop forced my decision to build it 'in-flight' sans propeller.

/media/tinymce_upload/879f2e6e02b4c65f833efc39447cb40d.jpg

The instruction sheet is a very simple affair with an even simpler paint scheme with colour call-outs with different paint codes than current kits. Things have certainly improved since 1980!

/media/tinymce_upload/994a2505fc5bb51f0aed6e87ffb6760e.jpg

I didn't bother with construction progress pics but suffice to say it was a relatively simple build with no issues except for fixing the radial engine into the cowling (nothing a file couldn't fix). The pilot figure was actually one of the best I've come across - very crisp detailing. The model was painted with brushes using Humbrol enamel paints - no airbrushing. It's a bit rough in places but I think it turned out okay.

The original decals looked a bit dodgy and was expected them to fall apart on application but the actually laid down very well and conformed over the raised rivet detail with no issues.

Here's the finished model.

/media/tinymce_upload/f73ff7d3b87983ff22286fda726d292a.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/e1cb067f9dcd14025b78d9294b49986f.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/587bb1419b5f6c7363f8a75462e8f0a8.jpg

Looks like you got it back Jeff!

Nice job on an older kit. I do really like the pre-war US Navy markings... lots of colour.

Although we can nit-pick at differnet aspects of the old Airfix kits, they were pretty accurate for shape and still rewarding builds.

Cheers,

Tim

It's definitely an 'older' kit - the inside of mine revealed that it was made in 1975 - but apparently it's quite an accurate model in terms of the dimensions and dumpiness.

/media/tinymce_upload/07773e2c58bb6d2cc2478dda89b12cbe.jpg

This meant that the interior was somewhat featureless - so I added a control panel using a DIY decal.

/media/tinymce_upload/7f1021ddc9e8f9fcfe7edb87cd834e39.jpg

I decided to finish my attempt as one of the aircraft that fared so badly against the Zero in the Far East, so I used some decals from Print Scale which feature the aircraft flown by Sgt Williams of 67 Squadron in Burma in 1941  .

/media/tinymce_upload/606cec321a2d3b58a17df548eae726a5.jpg

You'll note that at the beginning of the campaign in that theatre, SEAC light/blue/dark blue roundels and fin stripes had not been introduced, so the aircraft were in dark green/dark earth with black and Sky undersides and 'normal' roundels and markings. I decided I couldn't face the thought of trying to get rid of the massive amount of excessive rivets - it's what it was back in '75!

/media/tinymce_upload/0d790625f5decffb1689f54051ed995a.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/6037ec220b64a9c93e6ccb7a3c710c67.jpg

So here are a few more views of a different version to that featured on the box!

/media/tinymce_upload/e77fcb7b0f9d0b69d621a6361bfebe42.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/eeb4255f43429280be3fde77b71ab496.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/1238370e360fe11fb0ba392e8182dfe3.jpg

You have recreated the early colourful Buffalo very well Jeff but I do think it's worth an upgrade via new tooling. It's another learning curve completed dealing with an old dated tooling. 

Your camo aircraft looks good as well 98, and I like that you separated the canopy, so you definitely needed an instrument panel! 

My kit had the same date moulding and, yes, the interior was very sparse, non-existent but that didn't bother me. Your build looks so much better than mine 98. I hope to do a better job when I get around to building my Special Hobby kit of a later model Buffalo. It has resin and photo-etch parts and will be looking to model it in RAAF colours. I thought the Boomerang was a dumpy looking aircraft but the Buffalo takes it up a level - certainly no Spitfire!

Nice builds both of you! I did the matchbox a few years ago... not a great kit whereas many matchbox planes still hold up today quite well. The old airfix looks a bit more detailed. History seems to be very cruel to the Buffalo. The Finns kicked Russian backside with them with Soviet Hurricanes going down to Finnish Buffalos so as with a few other maligned aircraft (I'm a defender of the Defiant) it probably wasn't the plane at fault so much as the tactics etc

• 2 months later...

The first or second issue of Airfix Magazine I ever brought in 1975 said that the cowling on this kit was poor and should be replaced with the one from the Revell kit- I had built the revell kit and when I scrapped it, kept the cowling and have just added it to the box of the Airfix kit ready for the build- I have had that cowling for over 40 years!

• 3 weeks later...