Dapol Track cleaner and RailMaster

Can't quite see the point of fitting a decoder to the Dapol cleaner. In RailMaster you would need to treat the decoder as if it was a loco and create a fictitious loco in RM as a manually added loco (i.e not using the RM loco database).

How to add a loco manually is covered in principle by this previous thread.

Manually adding a Loco to the RM Database.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/r3459tts-decoder-not-recognized-23469/

Ignore the references in the above thread regarding configuration of the 'sounds' as this is not applicable.

Chris, the reason for fitting a decoder , is to be able to use it on DCC, layout.   I have 3 of these, one for  DC,  one with decoder, for DCC, and one for N gauge.   You cant run on dcc, without decoder. Mine is no 22, and runs  behind loco, you click RM, to start/ stop it.

I just listed mine manually, picked a picture of it from a retail webpage and limited the Cruise to 60 and Shunt to 30 per the instructions not to run it flat out as a hoover.

Ray, just out of curiosity.

What are the supported features under DCC control. I assume the decoder motor control, controls the speed of the vacuum motor. But do the decoder functions have any purpose, and if so what?

Hi Chris,

Sorry to take so long to reply. The unit only contains a motor, so yes, all you have to control is its speed and the direction you want the motor to spin. No additional functionality in the unit itself. I suppose you could add some sort of lighting, if you were so inclined  😉

Ray

The reason I asked, is that I saw a picture of the box the Dapol comes in on the Internet and it said "5-function" on the box. Potentially it could be read by some as five DCC functions --- see below:

I assume the five functions are actually mechanical functions such as normal vacuuming, liquid cleaning, dry cleaning pad, abrasive cleaning pad and boost vacuuming. But the way the box is printed could be misleading.

/media/tinymce_upload/20c8217927e9bd0993a4b50ff36485c8.jpg