Programming track.

Jeditommo

I have just completed my track layout and am looking to use one of my sidings for a programming track. If I put isolating rail joiners coming out of my point would this be good enough to isolate it from the rest of the layout? I know you can set up some kind of switch to isolate it bu that looks a bit complicated to a novice like me. Thanks in advance

Just using Insulated Rail Joiners just on their own, is just not enough protection.

You need to implement some form of switched interlock that prevents any risk of driving a loco across the insulated joint from the DCC Track powered section to the DCC Programming section. If you don't, then the metal wheels of the loco will bridge the Insulated joint and most likely damage the controller.

I know you can set up some kind of switch to isolate it but that looks a bit complicated to a novice like me.

Others on here have used a siding with switched isolation but in my view the risk is just too high. You yourself, have indicated that designing and implementing a 'switched interlock solution' may be beyond your skill set. Therefore, I really can't see what the issue is with having a short length of track fitted to a length of timber as a 'programming track piece'. Here is my DIY home made one - image below. Such a simple solution provides guaranteed electrical isolation. You don't have to go overboard with the carpentry the way I have done, a simple flat wooden batten will suffice. It's not as if the 'programming track' is in constant daily use, so a timbered track piece stored away when not used should not be an insurmountable issue.

/media/tinymce_upload/3de737117862c5e01f4f1b8ff2fb8b1f.JPG

PS - Mine has 4mm Banana Plugs because I wired my Elite 'PROG A&B' output terminals to a pair of 4mm Banana Sockets mounted on the side frame of my baseboard. Thus I can plug it in quickly and efficiently at the time of use.

TIP: As a newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

Particularly as my reply includes an image, using the 'Blue Button' may result in your reply being held back for image approval, even though it is an existing image.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

This is my version.  Again, as Chris, recommends it is completely isolated from the main layout but I decided to make it appear to be an unused siding.

/media/tinymce_upload/f51d086c6dfc8dd8cf29c74493fb98f4.JPG

If you do not want to use a power track plus a short straight for your programming track you can use a longer straight with the wires connected to the rail ends using Lucar car type connectors that you squeeze on with pliers.

These are available from any car accessory shop such as Halfords and slip onto the rail ends just like a rail joiner.

/media/tinymce_upload/69358b53d67945fbd5d3ee78d0f77600.png