Help identifying which traction tyre

Will Hay

I didn't quote know whether to put thos in general discussion but as it's a DCC locomotive opted for here.

I have the 0-4-0 shunter from the mixed goods DCC set.

It's green with yellow stripes on the end, and quite a hard worker.

Could someone kindly assist in helping me identify which traction tyres it runs on?

Mine are rather worn.

With thanks.

Will Hay

The individual tyre is L6241, normally sold in a pack of 10 as X8101.  This tyre also fits the J83 tank loco as it uses the same chassis as the 08.  However, according to Hornby service sheet 308E covering this set, the locomotives are not fitted with traction tyres.

Bit of a dog’s breakfast this one.

SS278 DDC 08 shows no traction tyres, but New Modellers shop quotes this SS for X9372 wheels excluding traction tyres, but no ref to those tyres.

SS363 21-pin Sound 08 shows no traction tyres.

SS308 is for Mixed freight train set and again does no show traction tyres.

If yours has traction tyres, the simplest way is to measure them exactly ID, OD and width using digital calipers and look on Peters Spares in their own PN’d traction tyre spares for that size.

Service sheet 308 is for the DCC-fitted version of the 'traditional' generic 0-6-0/class 08 chassis upgraded to do away with traction tyres whereas sheet 278 is the first for the super-detail 08 so NMS are correct in linking wheelsets X9372 to that sheet.  The s-d 08 has never been equipped with tyres so the sheets 278 and 363 are correct in not making any reference to them.

Perfect, thank you all.

They certainly have tyres fitted.

Worn was rather an under-statement, the tyres are falling apart and a lesson for me not to neglect my lesser used stock when cleaning and maintaining my favourite locomotives.

Thanks again.