Making older loco,s DCC ready

Alan C

I intend to make my loco,s DCC ready, in case I eventually DCC my layout. Does anyone know where I can get brush t-clips from, as I don't want to solder wires directly to the brushes?

Many thanks in advance.

Whilst you wait for a reply, perhaps you would spend a few minutes reviewing the TIPs in the TIP page link below:

TIP: As a newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

Rob, if I were to refer you to M-R's how to correctly convert an X04 to DCC, would you know what it is then?  It's the clip you need so you don't solder directly to the brush holder when you insulate the other brush from chassis by putting the insulated tube on the other side of the brush retainer spring. All clear as mud I'm sure?

Hornby made a different clip, actually a "T" shape.

It was designed for use when fitting Zero one decoders.

It was used to attach spade connectors, but can also be soldered to.

There are two of the T clips in this packaged Zero 1 decoder.

/media/tinymce_upload/b7ca45e3d1fa4e6edf860eeb7b14e805.JPG

If all else fails, it is possible to fabricate a basic clip with thin brass or similar. 

• 3 weeks later...

Rob, if I were to refer you to M-R's how to correctly convert an X04 to DCC, would you know what it is then?  It's the clip you need so you don't solder directly to the brush holder when you insulate the other brush from chassis by putting the insulated tube on the other side of the brush retainer spring. All clear as mud I'm sure?

Clarified Fishy.

Also on that linked page by Flashbang if you click on Brushes and Brush Springs in the Menu there are many variants listed.