Railmaster activation key

I've just purchased a set, R1173 from quite a reputable retailer (don't think I can say who it was??). Anyway, the set was preowned but "like new" I contacted them asking they supply a new activation code for the software, as it's a used set. They said they don't, only with new products containing the E-link controller, they told me to contact Hornby, which I have and still waiting for a reply, are Hornby able to provide new activation codes in cases like this?? I know that the activation code can't be transferred from user to user so I dont hold much hope in it working when the set arrives. The set was almost as much as it would have been brand new so I would have thought they should have included a new activation code, but apparently not...

Thanks 

RailMaster once installed as an 'Evaluation' copy, gives you the option to make a 'within application' purchase [Help Screen] of a new activation key directly from the RailMaster software developers. I should stress that you are purchasing the key from the RailMaster application software developer NOT Hornby.

Hornby have discontinued selling RailMaster activation keys [R8144] as a new purchase.

Now the keys can only be purchased direct from the developer or any retailer that might have unsold new stock of the R8144 product still on their shelves (now unlikely).

The online key purchase price is about £70 from the developer.

Had you known this, then it might have been more cost effective to purchase RailMaster bundled with a new eLink as a 'brand new' purchase.

PS - The 'Evaluation Copy' is downloadable from the download link located at the very top of the 'RailMaster & Trackmaster' forum index page.

TIP: As a newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

I've had trouble selling my eLink train set on the second hand market because of this issue.

Mention that the buyer also needs to purchase a £70 railmaster licence, makes eLink sets tough to resell.   Unlike Traditional DC sets that just run out of the box,  eLink sets will not work without Railmaster.

So while eLink / Railmaster is a good introduction to DCC, don't expect to get your money back when you resell it.

I have never regarded Railmaster, as an introduction to DCC.. i bought my set 7 years ago, and am very content.  It does everything i ask of it. When you purchase it clearly says licence is not transferable. The solution for many of us , was to buy a spare CD, from Hattons, for  £5, in their sale.   

I have never regarded Railmaster, as an introduction to DCC.. i bought my set 7 years ago, and am very content.  It does everything i ask of it. When you purchase it clearly says licence is not transferable. The solution for many of us , was to buy a spare CD, from Hattons, for  £5, in their sale.   

The problem is the Hattons £5 Railmaster sale finished some time ago, so that avenue is closed to myself and BrendanCross.   

As Chris mentioned no retailer seems to be selling Hornby R8144 anymore - so the only option is to pay full price to the developer.

With regard my previous reply providing a link to an eBay seller listing RailMaster R8144 for a starting price of £14.

Buyer beware.

I asked the seller via the eBay contact page whether the R8144 was still in its Hornby cellophane seal and could he guarantee that the 'Activation Key' had not been previously used.

I got his reply this morning. It is not being sold in its factory seal and he could not guarantee that the key had not been previously used.

..................................................................................................................

EDIT: I now see that the seller has deleted the listing. Presumably as a result of my contact question. Where I mentioned that a 'used key' could not be used to activate RM again by a different user.