Problems with payment on Hornby website

AndyHead78

I received an email today regarding my pre-order of the GBRf Class 66, Captain Tom Moore. The card I used to pre-order the loco has since expired so it couldn’t take the payment. Although I’ve used my new card on subsequent orders it won’t let me update the details on the Hornby site for this order, it just comes up with error messages. The email says I have until the 13th to change my payment details or they will cancel the order. I wasn't able to get through on the phones as they are working remotely due to COVID, so I had to send an email to customer support. The automated response I immediately got back said it could take 8 days to deal with, past the deadline of the 13th! Hopefully I can get hold of someone on the phone tomorrow. If not, any suggestions as to what I can do? Obviously I can't cancel the order and do another one as they've sold out.

I had the same issue, in my case the card was valid and yes the website update didn't work. I phoned up Hornby Customer Relations and did it all by phone. When I mentioned the website wasn't working the person on the other end said that it was not working today ( that was the 5th of August). There is already a thread on this. I think Hornby are having internal process issues, as I say my card was valid, I know that because I paid YouChoos later in the day.

Hi Andy - not sure what will come of it but I have sent a note to the Admin. team to see if they can intervene on your behalf.

Working from home is not helping with the speed of communications.

Hope it gets sorted for you.

R-

Hi,,I had this problem back in May with the rocket ,like Colin B the card was valid but the website was playing up ,anyway this time for the  captain Tom the email says it is in the warehouse,on the Hornby website it says in process and my bank account shows the payment is accounted for so hopefully there won't be any problems,all I can say Andy is keep on phoning them ,today is the 6th so you have got plenty of time ,don't rely on the email you sent ,I know it's frustrating but keep trying,if you can,get on the phone first thing in the morning as soon as they open ,good luck ,

yep I had that problem too; again.

I immediately emailed as a response to the email they sent.

I got an email reply within 3 days (this time) telling me to phone them.

It only took 20 minutes of on-hold before I spoke to a nice young lady who took my payment details with joy and delight.

I told her to expect another few calls from me until the website is fixed because I know all my pre-orders will get the same issue.

Now to find the "perfect" set of rolling stock for Cap'n Tom to pull!

Your lucky to have got through - I appreciate the times we are in, but I have rung for the last three days a few minutes after 9am (opening time) and found myself twelfth in the queue. The first and second days I hung on, after ten minutes I was still twelfth in the queue, so if each call is taking between five and ten minutes, that could be an hour plus holding on. Sadly I feel my order may have to lapse - it was also for the Tom Moore Class 66.

I would add that the "payment problem" only affects certain cards - valid or not - and has been a  problem, certainly for the last two years. I got to know the lady in Customers Services quite well 😆

@bulliedboy It is really concerning, my card was a standard Visa card that I have had for years and it had the right expirary date. Sorting out payment is sort of important to any business, so I am surprised they have not sorted it out. I remember in the last days of BHS just before they folded, I would go in there and they were so short staffed that nobody was manning the tills. I thought at the time, you have got to be losing business, as I watched people come up to the tills and walk away. I suppose for Hornby retail sales is probably a very small part of their business.

@VESPA No it is not that the error is at the host end. As I said in my earlier post Hornby admitted to it. Trouble is normally in most organisations you would walk up to someone's desk and mention there is an issue and it gets resolved geneally very quickly. When people work remotely, as is the case at the moment, issues take days to get resolved, I used to work for a multinational, on one occasion it took flying to the USA to resolve one issue, it is amazing what standing at someones's desk can achieve. It is very easy to ignore an email. 

I've lost my pre-order for Cap Tom. Will never buy from Hornby again.

Try phoning them. I know it is a nuisance but it should pay off as nobody else can order as the item is a sellout and yours should be secured.

I've better things to do. Sounds as if I don't care, not the case, but I believe Hornby actually said any "cancelled" orders would be passed down the line to a reserve list of others who were too late to get the "limited" edition.

I've lost my pre-order for Cap Tom. Will never buy from Hornby again.

Try phoning them. I know it is a nuisance but it should pay off as nobody else can order as the item is a sellout and yours should be secured.

I've better things to do. Sounds as if I don't care, not the case, but I believe Hornby actually said any "cancelled" orders would be passed down the line to a reserve list of others who were too late to get the "limited" edition.

Add your name to the reserve list !,you might end up getting one .

PS ,and yes I do know about the blue button .

Following on from my post at 10.30am (ish) this morning on this subject, I received a lengthy email from Hornby Customer Services explaining the problems, and the frustration it causes them as sellers together with us as purchasers. I will reply to that email, and also ask if I can post their email on the forum. It may help many of you understand the problems. Who said Hornby don't look at the forum! BB

I have had problems too with my preorders including captain tom.

Think I've had to phone customer service three times already this year and I am expecting to have to contact them a few more times this year 

About time the payment issue was fixed and the website given a complete overhaul.

Who said Hornby don't look at the forum! BB

Only because two of the ComMods (not me) escalated these recent forum raised order issues to the attention of the Hornby online support team. Had the issues not been escalated, then the Hornby online support team would likely not have seen the various forum posts.

Totally understand the comments of Chris, but I would hazard that whilst nobody within Hornby has been officially given the responsibility of monitoring the forum content, for potential problems persistently being enountered, I would consider it irresponsible not to occasionally visit the forum 'behind the scenes' to keep abreast of current thinking.

Al.