GBRf Class 66, Captain Tom Moore arrives...

JJ73

Must admit I cancelled my order some time ago.

Loved the idea of assisting our NHS, but as there were more than enough takers, I had no intention of simply keeping it in a box - paint finish is really nice, but detailing nowhere near what I prefer.

Al.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To affix nameplates I have always used PRITT Stick. The excess if any can be swabbed away carefully using a cotton bud damped in water or if just a tiny bit a small artist paint brush. All my Britannias and a few other locos with changed names I have successfully done this way. None have come off so far.

Hi there

I am new to the forum so forgive me if this is not the place for this... we received our Capt. Tom Moore Class 66 this week and I must say we are delighted with it!  For what it is worth, my view is this is tremendous value for money. With a 5-pole motor, "that" great livery, and knowing you are supporting a great cause, there is really very little not to like!  😆

Anyway, my question for the group is, what would you recommend in terms of good / suitable rolling stock to go with it? Our collection is mainly steam / early eras so we don't have any modern freight wagons to go with the loco. Does anyone have any good recommendations as to what would suit it best?

Thanks everyone in advance!

Best wishes

Willsp73

"You're lucky I have had no sign of my order yet and just seen one for sale on e-bay for double the price"

Same here, been checking my e-mails frequently this past week, but still no word of when it is likely to be sent.  Still showing as a pre-order on my Hornby account.   I suspect the packing department may be overwhelmed.  Eager anticipation, really looking forward to receiving this very special loco which is one I shall cherish for the rest of my days.

@ Willsp73 :- Hello & Welcome to the Hornby Forum :)

I'm with you - most of my colloction is Steam Locos aswell & only have 4 working Diesels models & 2 Stastic Models!!! Well I don't think it really matter what your loco Pullls - as Locos will Pull any thing these days - just go to your Local Station & you will see what I mean or have a look on the internet!!!

Also I live nr Turnstead Quarry here in Derbyshire - a VERY large Quarry!!! It even has its own railway Line running through it to take away the Rocks!!! It has it own signal box called "Great Rock JCN"

Copy & paste this link to see what type of wagons they use - (well close enough any way!!!)

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/shop/wagons-coaches/freight-wagons/mha-coalfish-ballast-wagon-ews-era-9.html 

Hi Wilsp73,

Hornby do some container wagons (R6926, R6927, R6957, R6425 etc (search 'container' in the Hornby website shop and look for the R number ones)), loaded and unloaded, which are typically seen being hauled by a class 66. I see they're out of stock on the Hornby website, but I'm sure some are available from the retailers (and possibly at a lower price too). Other than these, I can't see much 'era 10/11' freight rolling stock currently on the Hornby website, but other manufacturers do some large bogie mineral wagons (HKA? HAA? Not sure of the name), which are also seen hauled by class 66s.

I'm not sure what work the real 66 731 is usually seen doing, so my suggestion is any modern day freight wagons you can find, but don't run them in mixed trains if you're being accurate. Alternatively, you could couple it to some BR Mk2 coaches in blood and custard or chocolate and cream liveries and say it's on a Railtour?

Hope this helps :-)

A suggestion regarding what loads it pulls. Why not get a couple of Hornby coaches and put a headboard on the loco such as "LCGB Excusion" as I am sure that it will get requested for such specials . Have a look at FOX Transfers headboards https://fox-transfers.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=poppy+headboards with Hornby Mk2 or Mk1 coaches. Two other makers of 00 make suitable container wagons and aggregate wagons.

Jimyjames, 4472 and Vespa, 

thanks for all your suggestions, really appreciate it! That's a helpful few pointers for me. Love the footage of Turnstead Quarry too, there's some great kit up there.

thanks everyone, now to put the Capt Tom Moore to work!

best wishes

Willsp73

Well I received mine last Wednesday and took it to my friends for it's inaugural running session. it ran faultlessly for 1.5 hours in each direction.

Now all run in it will receive a TTS sound chip and some decent speakers. I use a bass unit for the deeper notes and a higher frequency unit to bring out the higher frequencies.

My only gripe is that Hornby are lax with their pacaging as this is the second model from them with postal damage. This time it was a minor crease to the top of the carton and retail packaging.

last year my H Class turned up totally crushed, I couldn't even remove the model from the packageing. It was replaced by Hornby without problems and the replacement was perfect.

Hornby,,,,, can you pack locos in bigger boxes with a bunch of foam chips to fill the voids, Hattons do this and I've had no damage ever from them!

Nevertheless,,,onwards and upwards

Not sure the order number has anything to do with when you might expect your loco. My order number was 331869 which is 1807 lower than yours. If you assume order numbers are consecutive (generally), that would mean that "every" item ordered from Hornby was in the mix. At least you have heard yours is on it's way. Also the order numbering, if it were just for this loco, would mean Hornby are only just over half way through sending out orders! 

Just checked and my order number is 334689.  I am not sure how the numbers are allocated.   The numbers could be sequential for all items as my more recent pre-orders for other Hornby items have higher numbers.    I tried to order Captain Tom when they were doing 2020 models and after many failed attempts I finally got as far as checkout and the site was asking me to commit to pay £149.98 and I realised I had 2 in my basket.  When I tried to go back a page to remove one from my basket I got knocked off the site and then the site went down.  It was after midnight so I went to bed.  Next morning I was gutted to find they were showing sold out but later that day I learned they were now doing 3,000 and I logged on again and  was finally able to have my pre-order accepted.   So my order will probably be in the 3,000 batch or maybe into the final 3,500 batch.  Still showing this evening as pre-order.   Oh the eager anticipation, really looking forward to this one!

Just received the TTS decoder for the class 66 and fitted it to 'Capt. Tom', sounds great to me.  So.... a special edition class 66, with sound, for around £140.00.  Looks and sounds good and great value for a sound-fitted loco.  Well done Hornby, a great product.

Rod

• 3 weeks later...

Patience got the better of me and I have now bought the last Captain Tom of the stock of a Hornby authorised retailer, at the original price and have cancelled my Hornby pre-order.   Judging by the inflated prices at which these locos have already been changing hands on eBay, I have no doubt that once Hornby work their way through their backlog of pre-orders there will be no shortage of takers for the one which I have cancelled.