GBRf Class 66, Captain Tom Moore arrives...

JJ73

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still showing as on pre-order from Hornby in my account details, I'm beginning to wonder.  Had wish-listed it from one of the box shifters as well, but had an email from them last week to say there (unsurprisingly) won't be anymore coming through now that Hornby have presumably allocated the total number of units available.

HK.

• 2 weeks later...

Still showing as on pre-order from Hornby in my account details, I'm beginning to wonder.  Had wish-listed it from one of the box shifters as well, but had an email from them last week to say there (unsurprisingly) won't be anymore coming through now that Hornby have presumably allocated the total number of units available.

HK.

I'm still waiting on mine too, seems like a lot of people got theirs a long while ago but if there is another batch it would be nice to know that it is due in X period.

HK.

I'm still waiting on mine too, seems like a lot of people got theirs a long while ago but if there is another batch it would be nice to know that it is due in X period.

I've chased up mine as well this week as it was still showing as on order only to be sort of told that I'm on a waiting list and that.

"I can see that there are still numerous Tom Moore pre orders pending subject to a waiting list from the date and time your pre order was made.  You will be notified shortly if you have been successful." Was the intial response, so when i asked them if I'd actually taken part in a lottery as I didn't unserstand why I should be waiting to see if I'd been successful I got the following.

"We received an unprecedented amount of orders from customers wanting to support a great charity cause with the Captain Tom Moore Loco. 

Unfortunately, we filled the order list very early after release therefore implemented a waiting list which was listed on the website under the product information. 

All orders are released in date and time order. For customers who have failed to make payments or have cancelled orders this then released more to customers waiting in the que. "

My order number is H00333833, so if yours is after me I think you can safely say you're further down a waiting list that I am and neither of us will probably get anything or a reasonable answer from Hornby, of why when ordering something that clearly shows as available it never was going to be.

HK.

I've chased up mine as well this week as it was still showing as on order only to be sort of told that I'm on a waiting list and that.

"I can see that there are still numerous Tom Moore pre orders pending subject to a waiting list from the date and time your pre order was made.  You will be notified shortly if you have been successful." Was the intial response, so when i asked them if I'd actually taken part in a lottery as I didn't unserstand why I should be waiting to see if I'd been successful I got the following.

"We received an unprecedented amount of orders from customers wanting to support a great charity cause with the Captain Tom Moore Loco. 

Unfortunately, we filled the order list very early after release therefore implemented a waiting list which was listed on the website under the product information. 

All orders are released in date and time order. For customers who have failed to make payments or have cancelled orders this then released more to customers waiting in the que. "

My order number is H00333833, so if yours is after me I think you can safely say you're further down a waiting list that I am and neither of us will probably get anything or a reasonable answer from Hornby, of why when ordering something that clearly shows as available it never was going to be.

I spoke to the Hornby sales team today, the guy said that there was a further/last batch that they are waiting on but dont have any information on as and when they will be available.  I was pretty sure that when I placed the order I wasnt ordering based on potential returns/cancellations, which if it is the case it wasnt clear.  Would be a shame.  My order is H00334XXX so a couple of hundred down from yourself.

Guess we'll have to wait and see, if it comes great, if not c'est la vie!

Like a lot of people on this forum, I was still waiting until yesterday afternoon that was, when Hornby sent me a coupon for a 10% discount on any item from the shop !!, reading through it I suddenly realised that Hornby weren`t being generous but had cancelled my order !!!. Like a lot of us, didn`t realise that I had been put on the waiting list, thought I had got through first time, nothing either showed as such on my order. The other annoying thing was at the same time as ordering Capt Tom, I ordered a TTS chip for it, 12 days ago advise received that they were taking payment for the chip (which Hornby were classing as a seperate order, and therefore charging me postage on), expecting at anytime to get another email to say the loco was on its way but unfortunately not to be the case. So had to let the Grandson know that Capt Tom (it was for him) wasn`t coming afterall. Looking through my odd collection of locos, having sold a lot off I have a T9, an M7 and a Adams Radial, wonder which one will sound best with a class 66 sound chip in !!!!

One other annoyance is that a few people have said they obtained theirs from Box shifters or Retailers, I though that this loco was only going to be available direct from Hornby.

Hello Ken & Welcome to the Forum  😀

One other annoyance is that a few people have said they obtained theirs from Box shifters or Retailers, I though that this loco was only going to be available direct from Hornby.

I think what may have happen - yes You could only buy it from Hornby direct but I think what may have happen - is the some folk bought it from Hornby then sold it on to others like you said above 'box shiftets or Retailers' perhaps!!!

My order showing as cancelled now also, nothing to indicate that the order was initially taken as part of a wait-list by Hornby.  10% discount voucher offered when their postage rate to New Zealand is over 40 quid a package ... not really covering themselves in glory at the moment.

At least a goodly amount of money was raised for the NHS through this less than stellar sales and marketing effort by Hornby.  You folks keep safe over there, quite concerned for you all as you head into autumn.

HK.

Pre-Ordered mine on the 03/05/2020, HORNBY have cancelled the pre-order on the 22/09/2020, and as some form of compensation give me a 10% discount code to spend on this website?

I want the class 66 Capt Tom Moore locomotive Hornby, not 10% discount.

Im not a very happy bunny at the moment. NOT VERY GOOD BUSINESS TREATING CUSTOMERS LIKE THIS.

• 4 weeks later...

I have to say the Captain Tom Moore Class 66 model seems like a great locomotive to add to any collection. After seeing others unbox the model, I have become intersted in owning one.

Of course, Hornby have already sold and shipped all of their models. So it is time to look at the secondary market. As of October 2020, you either need to go back to the past and buy the model at a very reasonable £75, or go onto the secondary market, more specifically, ebay. However, you will be bidding against many others, and you will have to pay in the region of £125 - £175. 

Did they increase the numbers to 3,500 without telling the actual manufacturer? ...

Al.

You lost me here Al - how could you increase an order without the manufacturer knowing/agreeing? BB

Someone commented about getting the model from a "box-shifter" - I certainly saw one advertised through a well known site, but if you read the "small print" it said only available directly through Hornby. BB

You could blame it on Covid. Hornby always seems to do small batches, I am sure it is so it increases demand. Sadly in this day and age, the people that seem to gain are the Sellers on EBay when a model is really wanted. Hornby just get the standard fee for making a model, the only advantage with this model was that they could fix the price.

Possibly Hornby wanted more produced but the supplier had other jobs. Hornby "outsource" their production so they have to fit in with whoever produces them. If manufacturer is already signed up to make someone elses products then perhaps they didn't have the capacity to make the Hornby extra models.It could be another company offered more money to get things produced. It is always an issue when you "outsource" work, especially when it is not within a short drive.