Decoder removal

geejbee

Hello

I am considering removing the decoder on one of my 0-6-0 tank engines so it can be used on a small DC layout I am putting together for my grandson. Am I right in thinking I will need to fit a blanking plug in its place, and if so where would I obtain one? 

Thanks.

A DCC equipped loco will run on a DC track if DC running is enabled in CV29.

If you want to remove it and don’t have a blanking plug just use jumper wires between the end pins link 1 to 8 and 4 to 5.

I would post a picture but the site is broken preventing this, so see if this works.

1 —-  8

2        7

3        6

4 —-  5

If CV29 is enabled for DC Operation on the decoder, then the loco should run on DC Analogue anyway. Why not just try it and see. If it runs, then you don't even have to take the body off.

Rob got in first......

PS - 8 pin blanking plates have recently been in very short supply and 'sold out' in all the normal online outlets.

If your loco is one of those that is hard wired, so does not have a socket, then CV-29 would be your best bet as otherwise you are not only going to have to take the body off but also use a soldering iron (and possibly source a small capacitor too) 

Unfortunately, the only way to find out if it is a socket based installation or a hard wired installation is to take the body off.

Thank you one and all. I seem to remember that it has a 4 pin decoder, although it is quite a while since I have had the body off. My Select has been updated now so I know other functions are available but I am a bit nervous about cv numbers. I will have to really study the "new features" leaflet. I will try the loco on the dc track first. 

On a 4 pin socket. The DC bypass configuration is the outer pin to the inner pin on both sides. Let's say that the four pins number 1 to 4 left to right. Then pin 1 connects to pin 2 and pin 3 connects to pin 4 to provide DC operation.

Just for info. The CV that controls DC Operation is CV29. The most common value of CV29 (but not the only one) for 'DC Operation' is a value of 6 [this assumes that when it was being operated on DCC that the DCC address was between 001 and 127]. If the DCC address that has been used is in the range 128 to 9999 then the value of 38 would normally be the common 'DC Operation' value of CV29.