LMS MPD Buildings

Wagonwheels

I have been looking for a suitable model LMS/BR engine shed for my layout.

All building kits be they cardboard or plastic seem to follow the heavily pitched roof type be they either single or two road versions. The only example of the concrete 'bomb shelter' type that I was familiar with from North West England is the old hornby dublo version. This for me would be job done except reasonable second hand examples go for quite serious money as I believe they are snapped up by Dublo collectors. Before I raid the piggy bank I wondered if anyone knew of a cardboard or plastic kit that modelled this type of shed?

For illustration I'm thinking of Lostock Hall, Rose Grove, Lancaster GA, Carnforth, Blackpool.

Interesting that the Dublo engine shed was one of the surplus items Triang continued to market post 'merger' there being a number still in stock. However that was a long time ago.

Grateful for any suggestions or plans.

Many Thanks

Have a look for the Playcraft plastic one which was 'probably' based on the Dublo version But sold in red brick effect rather than the yellow concrete finish.  It was advertised in the catalogue as having 'working' smoke vents although as none of the Playcraft locos had smoke units i don't know how they tested them. 

The Playcraft range was HO but I think the engine shed is suitable for OO locos. There was also an extension set available which was also remarkably similar to the Dublo one. The extension kits go for more than the sheds!

I think there is at least one Playcraft shed on eBay at the moment. Items to watch out for are checking the glazing is in place and the smoke vents are all present as you will find it very difficult and expensive to get spares. 

I think the Playcraft Royal mail set was also 'probably' based on the Dublo one appearance wise but again it was plastic and HO and worked mechanically like the Tri-ang version. 

I had a shock looking at 2nd hand extensions etc on ebay. I bought my extensions at £1 and the 2 sheds at around £1.50ish back in 1973 from Hattons. I saw one shed advertised for £145 and extensions for £80+. Who will pay that? Somewhere I have a set of plans that covers most of the old HD wooden range inc the engine shed (Yes I had one of those once) With a bit of patience and basic cutting skills I am sure one could be easily modelled from Balsa, plasticard, and wills window sets for around £30. It is quite a simple structure and there are so many "do it yourself scartch parts" available for it to be a great winter project.

I have just viewed the HD shed and it is so simple to scratch build something similar. Have a look at a photo of it and you will see that it could be built from thick card with either Superquick/ Metcalfe brick paper wall coverings and roof tiles or if money allows Slaters plastic brick sheet etc for the same. Windows are from Wills along with drainpipes. The roof vents could be scratch made or modified razor blade covers. Glass can be clear plastic sheet or free from suitable food packaging. By doing it yourself the interior can be custom with a shed office, similar to that from the Dapol and Wills coal office kits. A great winter project.

There is a downloadable kit which you print on to card, here - http://www.smartmodels.co.uk/rail04---northlight-engine-shed.html

Thanks for this link - I just had a look at it. If I get tired of my 2 Superquick ones  I might  think seriously about building one. Certainly has a LMS look about it in my view.

Have you cosidered butchering the Superquick ones for the sides and modify the front and rear. Then build a suitable roof. If the apex is removed on the front and rear and a suitable large iron girder typ front to join the sides with a brick topping? That can be made from mounting card available at Hobbycraft and easily made to look good. Centre supports every two tracks made from Evergreen girder moulding. The roof can be made from a very flat apex of card to fit neatly behind the brick topping the full length covered in tile paper from Metcalfe or Superquick. Have a look at Widnes and Cranforth sheds (Google for pics) They look like the HD shed.

Although it is a pitched roof type shed I built my own three road shed based on 73D Gillingham a couple of years ago (cannot post a picture because of fault on website, sorry),

I built it entirely out of plastc sheet, including corrugated iron type, and brick type material, and pre- prepared windows and arch mouldings. I made a scale drawing first and cut the sections out and stuck them together with liquid poly. The result is very robust and looks like the shed I wanted. 

Have you considered doing something similar? Getting a drawing might be the hardest part but doing the build is highly satisfying.

I found that turning out your own structures is very satisfying. I made my road bridges similar to those big grey structures with brick supporting walls and the steel grey bridge. All were made from cardboard and balsa with superquick papers for the brick supports. The steelwork was card and balsa strip painted grey and rusted in the strengthening parts. Very much like many bridges over/under railways today in my area. One of my projects to do this winter is to combine two Dapol cottages and have a go at altering the roofing and putting a porch on one. I am going to try an experiment with grey wool stranded out and stuck with PVA to either the kit roof or a new roof of plasticard, to look more like thatch. That is a kit bashing job similar to my suggestions of the modification of the Superquick engine sheds. This post is very much one of those challenges of not being able to get what you want at a sensible price or build your own some way. The late Authur Downes was a master at building from scratch and if Googled there are many examples of his models to view. Sorry to go on about modifying so much, but it may be the best way to go and it will be unique to your layout.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for the many suggestions. The Bachmann Scenecraft version looks just right, although the prices make the Dublo version seem relatively cheap.  ☹️  I'll admit that the build quality and authenticity might reflect how things have moved on over the years, still it seems I will need to do some real model making to achieve the same ends without similar cost.

.Many Thanks 😀

If you think about it logically start with the sides then the front and rear. Make a scale drawing of what you want on paper and then upscale it to your own build. Sharp modelling knives are a must and a steel rule for a straight edge. Take your time. Use card for mounting pictures available from Hobbycraft etc. That is thick enough to be strong and thin enough to get clean edges. To get sides to go together you can use 90 deg triangles of card or used balsa square section. The structure can be covered in brick papers or plastic sheet with brick effect. Once covered before gluing together give all the brick areas a very light dusting of Dk Grey car undercoat, just enough to take out the sharpness of the brick print. It can be slightly darker at the bottom. For plastic covering, do a very light grey/cream thin acrylic wash over the whole brick and let it dry. Then with a very fine wet and dry take off the surface excess.  This will show up as the mortar joint.In various areas gently enhance the brick with several rubbings of various colour coloured pencils. (dk green, purple, brown and dk blue at random)  Again a light spray with Dk Grey undercoat over the whole thing. Then affix the windows, either ready made from Wills etc or made from plastruct strip. glaze with plastic glazing sheet. You can fix these in before the light spray coat to make them look dirty. The effect is simplistic but looks fine. I would also consider a bouble walling for added effect. By that I would cut out a wall with window apertures and then another with window apertures about 1/2 -1 brick bigger and overlay it onto the first piece. That will make the walls stronger and look even better. Any abutment can made from card and coloured to suit such ad window ledges. The glazing can be a simple frame of square plastic strip with the glazing glued in and indelable ink lines to emulate the wood in small panes or gently scre the galzing sheet and give it a quick wash of, say, cream acrylic wiped off befoe it dries but stays in the scoring. It will take time but that is what modelling is about.

I can wholeheartedly agree with Vespa, making ones own scenery including buildings is extremely satisfying.

Although it is NOT a LMS shed I decided to build my own engine shed for my layout and obtained photographs and large scale maps to get the proportions correct.

I used moulded  plastic card, Brick for the walls, corrugated sheet to represent an asbestos roof. and packs of arch windows, windows and doors as well as pre-formed brick arches and roof slates, and useful stuff like plastic sections, micro-strip etc. All these can be obtained from good model shops or on line from mail order suppliers like Squires. 

As already suggested I drew up plans, and elevations to scale, and worked out the height and length using the brick counting method. I then used these to mark out and cut the plastic to the correct size.  I also found I could use some ready made items like the Bachmann boiler house chimney, and kits like the Dapol water tower.

The shed has had to be fore-shortened to make it fit my layout.  But I don't think it look too bad.

Assembly used liquid poly applied with a small brush. A steel ruler and a square was used to measure (and for cutting with a sharp Stanley knife and a modeller's scalpul for delicate stuff. The steel rule and square makes sure everything was true. Right angle corners are bevelled to marry up the brick finishes. A selection of files and abrasive paper was essential.

I made the shed roof a seperate unit so that if anything went wrong I could lift it up. This was perhaps the trickiest part to make sure you couldn't see the join.

The finished structure was painted in matt Humbrol paints.

/media/tinymce_upload/788ee93002486e90f55fb350c91fb318.JPG

As well as the loco shed, and to use up some of the left over plastic sheet I made a semi detached chalet bungalow like the one I grew up in.

/media/tinymce_upload/3a826dcc68ad51f5002934fa5be99312.JPG

Does it have a 'prodder' in case one is reluctant to move after a weekend?

"I made the shed roof a seperate unit so that if anything went wrong I could lift it up. This was perhaps the trickiest part to make sure you couldn't see the join."