Crash Barriers ?

Kevin Hodges

Hi Kev. I use the Scalextric borders and barriers on my Scalextric Sport track. The borders allow the cars to drift out on the corners - which is what most Scalextric cars naturally want to do. They are different borders designed to fit all the different Sport curve pieces and there are straight sections too: https://www.scalextric.com/uk-en/track-selector

Track and borders from the Scalextric web store are not bad value - especially with the 10% Scalextric Club discount. Otherwise shop around. There are often cheaper Radius 2 borders and barriers on eBay - but I have also seen them listed for more than the RRP!

If you are building a permanent layout, it can be nice to use foamboard (Foamex, Sintra) of a suitable thickness and cut it so it makes a perfectly smooth run-off for the layout. Then you could add barriers of any style where you want to.

Hope that helps

Thanks Woodcote,

I had seen some guys track layout on youtube where he was using that 'old school' scalextric barrier but in different colours than the old fashioned plain white as I recall it. It looked quite good.

But I'll look around for the newer scalextric ones. Thanks.

Kev.

Hi Kev - sure, those old school barriers are an alternative and they are what many of us grew up with in the 70s, 80s and early 90s. The problems with them was that they fitted straight onto the edge of the track, meaning the car on the outside of the corner could just lean - full throttle - on the barriers and have a huge advantage over the car on the inside that would naturally drift out. The borders & barriers allow both cars to drift and keep the corner action more realistic.

There is also a "clip and barrier set" C8212 out there that is a little bit of middle ground if you don't have space for a full border.

The clips can be mounted at three points: Directly on the track, about 5 mm away and about 1 cm away.

They work with all sport (silver) barriers and can be used on any piece of track.

They don't fit super snug so a pit of tape or bluetak (other brands of poster adhesive ar available) can help hold them in place, especially if the ground is not flat.