Colour matches for British vehicles WW2

• 2 weeks later...

I've answered one of my own questions - Valejo Model Air Intermediate Blue is more or less an exact match for Humbrol 96 (RAF Blue). The other question however remains: what colour should I paint the Queen Mary trailer and tractor unit? I note the comment from Paws4Thot - I was under the impression (possibly mistaken) that Dark Earth was used as a vehicle colour by around 1941/42, so perhaps Bronze Green might be better for 1940/41? As to the theatre, definitely England!

Bronze Green was discontinued from February 1939 and re-introduced in 1948.

Dark Earth would be Humbrol's nearest to SCC.2 used from 1941 to 1943,

For 1940/41 the base colour was Khaki Green No. 3 which was similar to Humbrol 3 (but make it matt)

After receiving excellent advice from Ratch on paint required for a Bofors gun and tractor, I'm now needing info on what colour to paint the Queen Mary Trailer and its tractor unit (from the RAF Recovery set). The painting guide suggests Humbrol 96 (nominally RAF Blue), but my paint of choice is Vallejo Model Air. Any suggestions warmly received. And if you want to see how i utilised the advice on the bofors and tractor, I've posted it in this forum (Bofors emplacement added to diorama) - and you'll note that I decided to keep the gunners dressed in Army khaki....

Rightly or wrongly for the recovery set I used Tamiya XF-15 intermediate blue (which is a bit light) but then used a darker grey filter over it and it looked spot on. The final result was almost identical to Humbrol 96 but looked a bit more travel stained. For model air the PRU blue with a similar wash over the top might work OK. You need to push the blue to a slightly more grey shade. The model air colours are generally a touch satin. One of the reasons I used Tamiya was that it sprays hard matt. A good matt varnish over the top would probably do it.

For my 1/72 ground vehicles I'm personally happy with near enough.... not least because I believe in scale colour effect so model small scale in slightly lighter than "real" shades anyway. The larger the scale the more I worry. When I used to do serious large scale modelling for paying customers I was much more careful about it. I may not have been right 100% of the time but I could at least justify the choice.  I've got some great literature on exact colour schemes. - The warpaint series by Dick Taylor used to be my bible when I had a weird scheme I had to get right. Those can be found quite easily on Amazon if anyone wants some heavy duty reading.

For my 1/72 ground vehicles I'm personally happy with near enough.... not least because I believe in scale colour effect so model small scale in slightly lighter than "real" shades anyway. The larger the scale the more I worry. When I used to do serious large scale modelling for paying customers I was much more careful about it. I may not have been right 100% of the time but I could at least justify the choice.  I've got some great literature on exact colour schemes. - The warpaint series by D Taylor used to be my bible when I had a weird scheme I had to get right. Those can be found quite easily on Amazon if anyone wants some heavy duty reading.

(Amusingly a common name used for people with Richard on their birth certificates starting with D and ending with K needs moderated  🤐.. hahaha! "Warpaint" and "taylor" will do)

I’m not sure why a series of posts that I was involved in has simply disappeared. Perhaps moderated out of existence, moved elsewhere or a victim of the dreaded ‘403 Forbidden’? Anyway, I’m still having a dilemma about what colour to paint to my ‘Queen Mary’ trailer and tractor unit for a diorama set on an airfield in England in late 1940 to early 1941. I’ve decided definitely not RAF blue, and I’ve narrowed it down to either Dark Earth or Dark Olive Green. The only colour pictures I can find with dates show a 1940 version in dark olive green, and a 1943 version in Dark Earth/Black, so I guess green is the way to go. Any advice gratefully received before the hairy stick swings into action!

• 4 weeks later...