Princess Class 'Queen Maud'

Glosgas

Can someone help please?

I recently took delivery of a new Princess Class 'Queen Maud' and I'm a bit confused where some of the bits in the accessory bag fit.  I know about the bits in the box with a tick, but where do the others go?  The two gold coloured parts look as though they fit in the same place; one a folded version of the other./media/tinymce_upload/78b3d88a4c3128398f372b70f8a2fd93.JPG

Thanks.

The multi exit (1 to 3 into one are cylinder drain pipes (cannot use the proper name as it would infringe rules) They fit under the front steam cylinder where the valve gear slides back and to. The Black square looks like the "Bash plate" that fits under the central front buffer beam. If fitted you cannot use the front coupling. The other items are not visible enough in the photo. I think they are an alternative cylinder drain pipe to allow use on tighter curves. See the photos and expand.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/br-princess-royal-class-4-6-2-46211-queen-maud-era-5.html

I won a Queen Maud a few years back from the Hornby Comp on here.

The Bash plate was fitted to some but not all locos to avoid damage to instrumentation just behind the front buffer that gave signal info to the driver.

I real life Queen Maud did have a bash plate fitted. I found a photo but the site concerned flicks to other photos and obliterates the view.

A better photo showing a dirty bash plate.It also looks like the thinner drains are more suitable for this model looking at the photo. Put the 1-3-1 in your spares box.

/media/tinymce_upload/350ebe97afbd0ad5c205f7bf98239628.jpg

cock as in 'drain cock' has now been removed from the profanity filter.

'Cock of the North' was also affected. Thus this word was removed from the filter database then.

cock as in 'drain cock' has now been removed from the profanity filter.

'Cock of the North' was also affected. Thus this word was removed from the filter database then.

Should we then refer to it as "Hen of the North" or "Rooster of the North" ? This is all getting a bit silly. (Or maybe the Poutry Protection and Equalisation Governance" will then complain ? - but politely and no short Anglo-Saxon words). I must not buy an additional Lima Crab ! 😛 🤐

Of course, to be pedantic, the pipes are the drains from the cylinder drain cocks at either end of the cylinders...  😉

These drain cocks are taps, operated from the cab. They are there to release any water that has condensed in the cylinder whilst the loco is stationary.

They are opened before setting off, and let the incoming steam purge the cylinder of water.

This is the big "whooosh" of steam in front of a loco as it starts to move...

Once the loco is moving, they are closed. (some film and tv shots keep them open for effect...e.g. the Flockton Flyer! )

Steam can be compressed in the cylinder far more than water can...trapped water can blow the head off the cylinder!  😮