Fitting DCC to new Standard Class 4 Steam loco

Bob C

Hi. I received great help on my last topic regarding DCC and , having bought a couple of decoders I was able to get my first loco working. Fitting the decoder to the Patriot Class tender was a peice of cake and I had it running on the track within half an hour.

However when I come to fit the decoder to the Standard Class 4 4-6-0 (R3547) I just can't get the body off. I have undone the 3 screws on the bottom but the body just won't budge and I am scared of breaking something if I try to force it.

If anyone has experience of this loco I would appreciate any help. Have I missed something or are there some clips that I am just not seeing?  Below are a couple of photos of the tender and screws that I can see/media/tinymce_upload/ffa68706e9c8d2bd134394ba293d320f.jpg.

Bob C

/media/tinymce_upload/095f7d98e85c61f3a59da60e3438adc9.jpg

I am having real problems installing the DCC decoder to a recently purchased Standard Class 4, 4-6-0 Loco (R3547) I have removed the 3 screws that I can see but the body of the tender just won't budge.

Although being as careful as I can small items have started to fall of and the buffers are starting to come away from the body, as can be seen from the attached photo. I am now concerned that I will break it altogether. I get the impression that the body of the tender has been stuck/glued to the drive train and I am fearful of trying to prize it off.

I would appreciate any help if you have one of these locos or know what I am doing wrong.

Bob C

/media/tinymce_upload/d7487790532e1ebc40d3e090dc627df4.jpg

Pop out the coupling dovetail with a flat bladed screwdriver and check if there not a screw lurking under there. Similar tenders can have a pair of screws at the coupling end but outboard adjacent to the wheels and in deep pockets, once these are removed the chassis then pivots out around the fixed drawbar end.

Or it may be one of those where you squeeze the sides of the tender body and the chassis is released.

Bob........those 3 screws should be replaced as they hold the bottom axle plate on.........you have the manual there so you should find an illustration of the tender with DCC socket and a note of where the fixing screws are located.........as we often recommend - RTFM 😆.......HB

Bingo RAF 96. Screw under the coupling and two screws in the bowls of the tender beneath the front wheels. Talk about making life difficult for a newcomer. All I've got to do now is glue back the bits that fell off which I'm still a bit peeved about as I haven't been heavy handed at all.

Hi HB, thanks for your reply. I replaces the screws when I could not release the body so OK there. What manual are you refering to? All I have with the loco is a paper sheet which shows a picture of the tender with the body already off! Strangely it also shows in detail how to get the loco body off but the decoder goes in the tender for sure. If there is a manual that I don't know about I could do with it for future reference.

Thanks anyway guys, you have sorted my imediate problem out.

Bob C

There are two sheets for a loco, a maintenance shhet which shows general info, lube andbody removal, decoder placement, etc and a service sheet which is essentially an exploded parts list.

Every loco is supplied with the MS but not all loco SS have been issued, so often you have to find a similar loco type for ref.