TTS Decoder Problems

sg43

Sounds like the decoder is self protecting from an overload. Motor drawing marginal amps perhaps.

Folk have reported decoders not working after a long lay off, but they wake up again after a reset and readdress and continue to work fine thereafter.

@RAF96 funny that was what I was thinking it might be, but thank you for the advice. The decoder also must have an issue with its recovery strategy, in that it comes back with no sound. I will run it around the track for about half an hour an see if it recovers, if not I will try one of my Zimo sound decoders in it and see if I get the same issue. They have a much higher current cutoff, so the issue might disappear, in which case long term I will replace it with one of those. Trouble is, I probably only tested over a length of track when I bought it so it could always have done it. This is one of the few occasions where a small capacitor across the motor might help.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the replies.

Can I ask - how do you get notified of a response to your post? - I only noticed this by chance today, as I have yet another TTS Decoder problem, but seems like I generated a lot of dicussion. 

As a treat, my wife got me the Flying Scotsman R3736 Empire exhibition livery. Fitted an A1/A3 decoder and it worked fine until Saturday when it suddenly started jerking and stopped, though the sound was still there. 

Have replaced the analogue blanking plate and converted back to DC - I have an old R965 analogue controller and the Flying Scotsman came back to life, so assume there is a problem with the TTS decoder and not the loco itself.

Can I ask  - how do you get notified of a response to your post?

You Don't. There is no auto notification feature on this forum. I suggest when you raise a post that you come back and check each hour for new replies. Note that sometimes additional useful replies are still left days after you think that your question has been answered. So it is useful to come back and check at least once daily for a week to be absolutely sure that your thread has come to a natural ending.

@sg43..........to get back to your original problem running the TTS decoder.........I would suggest that you change CV150 by calling it up on your Select (V2.0) and Writing a value of 1........this will change an algorithym and vastly improve the loco's smooth running..........this tweak has been recommended 100's of times now..........HB

As a final part to my Duke of Gloucester TTS Decoder issue, I put the offending TTS decoder into a Princess Elizabeth (older style with socket in loco) that I purchased off EBay. It works perfectly not losing sound. So it appears RAF96 is probably right, there must be some overcurrent trip on these things that if the motor takes too much current, it turns off the sound, but forgets to switch it back on again if the current becomes in range. The original Duke of Gloucester has a Zimo sound decoder in it now, which is rated at much higher current and works perfectly.

I find it hard to comprehend that there are so many CVs that have to be adjusted to get any loco to run smoothly that Hornby do not do it in the factory so all we have to do is plug and play. 

It is creating so much frustration through this forum with with experienced modellers so I dread to think what it is doing to the newbies.