Disinfecting Model locos

Forum-1211528

I would use a watered down IPA mix, then rinse off with clean water.

If you used a fine spray you could probably get away with leaving the body in place.

The easiest method is to wipe the outside of the box clean with alcohol and leave the model for three days or longer after receipt, whereupon the virus is reputed to die naturally - see Gov guidlines on cleaning various home surfaces and materials.

Don't bother even trying. 

A July report in The Lancet reckoned transmission of SARS-CoV-2 from fomites was greatly exaggerated and a June update from the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control cited there were no documented cases of transmission via fomites. Even then, the virus would unlikely have survived its time in transit.

It would still be a good idea not to stick your fingers in your mouth when using your model railway and to wash your hands after an operating session. You don't want to damage your models paintwork with bodily fluids or put oil, paint, glue, or other model railway contaminants into your stomach. 

There has been a lot of information on how long this virus can exist outside of host cells from around 72 hours on metal to a few hours on cardboard. A loco that has been packed away and posted is unlikely to have any live virus on it by the time it arrives, the biggest risk is probably from the outer wrapping where the postie has has his/her grubby hands on it. If you are worried leave it for a day or two before opening. 

Be very careful if you do use some form of disinfectant. Dettol can be used to strip paint off old models for restoration. 

The advice to wash hands after touching models you are unfamiliar with is good. You don't know what type of toxic lubricants or other harmful substances have been used on the models in the past. Some of mine have lead superglued to the underneath to give a bit of weight to them. If they have been kept in an attic, shed or garage there could be asbestos dust on them. 

I've recently bought a few things via Banggood direct from China. I've assumed the 14-21 days it takes to get here will mean any virus will be dead on arrival however the detailed delivery info advised the items had been packed and Disinfected Including my 50 face masks for 14 dollars routed via Canada and Sweden which has just arrived. perhaps leaving in a sunny window might kill any virus?  Ultra violet light is supposed to do the trick. Pre Covid when buying used items from train fares I've cleaned them with baby wipes especially good for coach windows. These seem very gentle and I've lost no paint etc

I have bought a number of wagons on Ebay since March. My standard procedure is to leave the item for a day before opening it and then leaving it for a couple more days so that a period of 4-5 days have elapsed since the item was posted by the seller. Yes, it might seem over the top but better safe than sorry. I would resist wiping anything done unless you are absolutely sure the printed, lining or transfers are not likely to be damaged.