Does Hornby have quality control issues?

Zak Zak

I think this thread started on the quality of Railroad models as the person had bought them for their son. So we are not really talking about the super detailed ones. There is a big difference in Railroad models and the super detailed ones described, although of late some super detailed models should be put under the Railroad range. Having said that even with the super detailed ones you seem to always have to have a tube of "Super Glue" handy to glue the odd bit that falls off, the early Schools class was terrible for it, thankfully I bought the latest version and they seem to have corrected that error. As for the electrics I get the opinion they get added as an after thought, just look at the Adams DCC decoder location and compare with the Oxford one (if you notice the removable coal load) which makes it difficult in production.

As most regulars on here know I have a rather over the top collection of Britannias from several eras. The latest are really nice models but I won't part with my earlier ones as they are just as nice and run well with the tender drive. Those cost around £60 new but now the SD versions are nearly £200. When the SD versions were released I bought them at £108. Quality wise the older ones have had nothing but servicing done to them but the newer ones do tend to have bits falling off from time to time. I am 68 now and have been playing with trains for 64 years with all my old Hornby Dublo intact and in really good condition. My newer stuff is also immaculate but I think in the hands of less carefull they would be in bits now. An instance of this was a purchase from a catalogue MO company a few tears back of a train pack commisioned by them with Britannia "Black Prince". When it arrived it was well play worn and basically scrap. I got a refund and only in the last 18 months or so did I realise I had two packs. All I can think there was I was refunded, ordered another and then they sent a replacement. At the time I was working daft hours, long hours on some shifts as I was agency, in Critical Care and ordering items from various places. I must have just unpacked it and stuck it away.  Anyway that was one of the first China made Brits with the last Margate tooling and tender drive. Nothing fell off those so why are the part coming away these days.

I have a lot of issues with new Brits, pickups you name it. I did buy the two that cause most issues, second hand so that probably explains it. The valve gear on these is exceptional complicated so one jam and that is it. I haven't bought the latest one so I don't know what the quality is like. I think that there is a compromise with separately added parts, so they have to glue them on, but they don't want to use too much glue (cost) but also they don't want it to smear everywhere. Some of the glue they use also seems to have a shelf life, like bits start falling off after about a year. Trouble is when you manufacture remotely it is difficult to police these things, unless you have a huge travel budget and from what I heard from fellow engineers travelling to China, it is not a trip you want to take too often. One guy said it reminded him of the Black Country of the bad old days of the sixties when he was growing up.

I've read the replies with interest. I can confidently say our FS and Mallard were handled exceptionally carefully. It was apparent when I looked at them in the packaging that the valve gear was much finer than the old locos from my childhood and needed kid gloves. In fact my careful handling and 'rules' about looking after them raised a few eyebrows from my wife. I think she thought I was developing OCD. The FS set came with a Y shaped railing device which I used to get the loco onto the track. 

I looked on Amazon after making my post and found a review from September this year saying a FS was delivered with 'locked wheels'. I noticed reviews on there of Mallard, some mention screws falling out on to the track and valve gear issues. Mishandling might be the cause, might not be.

I've made up my own mind about the quality control question I originally posted.

I'm not sure I trust a loco that (from experience and from what I've read) could have a minor derailment, clip it's valve gear on something like a platform edge and end up as a write off. I've got very limited spare time and there's other things I like to do with it rather than spend time tinkering, carrying out 'acceptance tests' and carefully working out how to remove something from its packaging.

TBH I think the issue will resolve itself. There's a lot of competition for spaces on a seven year old's Christmas and birthday lists. Compared to RC drones and cars and games consoles etc, etc, some of which cost a fraction of the price and work straight from the box with no problems, I think my son might start voting with his feet as it where. It's a shame I suppose but I don't really blame him.

@Zak Zak exactly my arguement. We have seen it happen with many industries. I spend a lot of time building classic British bikes and I read exactly what went wrong with them, basically the same issues we are talking of here. Our car industry the same. Fortunately, the car company I worked for, looked around and did something about it.

I do remember the old H-D locomotives, which actually had partial movement in the valvegear as well - only seen in some Bachmann locomotives I believe.

Trying to get a youngster enthusiastic in a genuinely worthwhile hobby, but with such fine details I can imagine is very difficult.  One reason I grabbed a few 'Thomas' engines for mine, and still interested, but not enough.

I think they see how much time I spend at the bench 'mending' them ... !!  Not a lot, but as you imply, anything less than 100% availability nowadays is a pain.

Al.

I do remember the old H-D locomotives, which actually had partial movement in the valvegear as well - only seen in some Bachmann locomotives I believe.

Trying to get a youngster enthusiastic in a genuinely worthwhile hobby, but with such fine details I can imagine is very difficult.  One reason I grabbed a few 'Thomas' engines for mine, and still interested, but not enough.

I think they see how much time I spend at the bench 'mending' them ... !!  Not a lot, but as you imply, anything less than 100% availability nowadays is a pain.

Al.

That reminds me. My son's Hornby Thomas stopped with a wisp of smoke about 6 months ago. It's motor burnt out apparently. That's been in a Tupperwar box whilst I try and find a new one. That was after spending the best part of £100 on a Gauge Master controler. I've just mentioned this to my son who replied "Hornby aren't very good really" as he played on his Nintendo Switch. Oh well.

I like Sam's Trains as well.

State the obvious, but he is making solo observations and portraying his opinions - it is always possible to 'miss something' occasionally.

If there's something which is critical, I would look for other reviews as well to compare prior to making the purchase. 

Out of intense boredom this wet and dismal afternoon I searched out this guy and frankly I was less than impressed. Back to watching paint dry. Much more entertaining watching Dangerous Dave and his latest faux-pas.

@Rob.........You need to switch to QuestHD channel, British Super Bikes at Donnington Park in fine weather.. 😆..........HB

It appears the forum doesn’t accept standard keyboard generated emojis of racing bikes Howard.....

BT Sports is all rugby, so I may have to attempt to wrestle the remote from herself and swap from Living in the Country to a proper action channel.

Either that or decamp to the train room and recommence points wiring...