Access One controller

Bulleidboy

Did the Access One infra-red hand held controller ever reach production? It was advertised as being wire free and connectable to both the Elite and Select.

I was browsing the 2009 edition of The Hornby book of Model Railways, and there was a picture of the Access One - I'd never heard of it before. 

This may seem a silly question but why do they put it in the catalogue? They seem to do it with a lot of things. Is it to drum up interest to see if it worth selling? If they get enough advance orders they look to develop it. I doubt infra red would work very well anyway, going by the way a TV controller works. BlueTooth would be better and it was around in 2009, most car radios had it by then

They put many things in annual catalogues that never make it into production e.g. Select-a-Link cable and there have been several locos and dare I mention the Loco Detection System for RM. Who knows what the bean counters will chop.

The catalogue is prepared months ahead of the launch and can be full of errors, e.g. the forum discussion we had this year about if the Rocket decoder was a 4, 6 or 8 pin.