Tri-Ang Hornby Britannia R.259S with Synchrosmoke

oorail

The information is a bit sketchy. I've found mention that Seuthe made smoke units for awhile for Tri-ang but then Tri-ang developed the synchrosmoke units as the Seuthe ones were too expensive. The megasteam smoke oil seems to have the same viscosity as

the old tri-ang oil, it doesn't appear to be any heavier. The link suggests lamp oil could clog up the seuthe units over time. Looking at the inside of the synchrosmoke unit after heavy use with the megasteam smoke oil, not seeing any residue at all. The smoke

oil seems to boil off..

Looks like you might have been wrong to agree with SOT this time, too bad since its rare :)

The folks who manufacture the megasteam smoke fluid were nice enough to explain that it was designed with the correct viscosity so that it does not gum up

the smoke units. They explained that they have many customers who have used the product long term as well as their own testing that shows there are no ill-effects.

This is consistent with what I was seeing comparing the megasteam and hornby oils.

Yes they did, they also forwarded me a copy of a review from Railway Modeller as well.

This is exactly what they said:

"our product is safe to use

in the Seuthe units due to our viscosity being the right consistency so that it does not gum up the works.

We use a very high-quality petroleum based oil that is safe in all units. Some hobbyists prefer to stick with the manufacturer's brand as the

operator's manual always suggests... although that is not necessary as long as the product is of high-quality."

There are no impurities in the oil, they are a small company that relies on customer satisfaction and a very high quality product. They appear to do a considerable amount of testing and quality assurance to maintain a high quality product. They stressed

that their product was of a very high quality to insure no damage occurred to customer's smoke units.

Sounds very good, if it doesn't cause any damage and it works then it should be ok. The fact that they have tested the product is very reassuring, have they tested on Tri-ang syncrosmoke units?

Some lookalike pure smoke oils have impurities in them

that attack the casing of the syncrosmoke smoke unit element wire and eventually eat through the wire causing premature failure.

Baby oil is about the worst for causing damage, the impurities in it cause a lot of damage to smooke unit elements. I have

even see car engine oil used!

Archived