Loco Addresses

Guest Chrissaf

A decoder won't program unless there is a motor load in the circuit which explains why it changed address when the loco was on the track. So if you put the loco back on the track and re-address the turntable (and the loco) with the old turntable address that will solve that problem then you need to re-address the loco on a separate piece of track.........HB

Resetting the Select won't change any decoder addresses as addresses are not stored in the controller. However, this does not mean that resetting the Select is not a useful exercise to do anyway when having difficulties addressing a decoder. But the 'reset' is not being done for the reason that you have alluded to.

I tried to program its old number with no success.

Well in theory, that should have worked. Assuming that you removed everything else [and I mean everything] from the track first.

When addressing new loco purchases. It is so much easier if you have a spare length of track dedicated for that purpose. You then just disconnect the Select from the main layout and temporarily connect the Select to your spare track piece to perform loco addressing functions. Doing it this way, not only improves the probability of success, but also eliminates your discovered issue, namely accidentally changing the configuration of things you didn't mean to.

Not only your TT decoder, but what if you have 'Accessory Decoders' for remote operation of points. These also have to be disconnected from the main layout if you try to use the main layout for programming as well. If you do indeed have 'Accessory Decoders' for points or DCC signals, you might find that these are no longer working on their old addresses as well.

HB's reply logic is flawed. For some reason he forgot that the TT motor is connected to the output of the decoder, and that the TT motor is providing a 'load' on the decoder.

If you have version 1.6 or higher firmware in your Select, then you can reset the Turn-Table decoder by writing 8 to CV8. If your firmware is 1.5 or lower, then your only option is to continue trying to change the decoder address or re-instate the original.

The current installed firmware is displayed as the very first number to briefly appear on the Select screen as it is being powered up. Expect to see a number between 10 and 20. At the time of writing, the latest version is 1.6 [16] or 2.0 [20] - both the same. These latest versions completely transform the user experience of the Select controller and add the ability to write (not read) all CVs up to CV255. As well as access to the full F0 - F28 range of functions.

The upgrade charge is typically £15 plus your sending postage costs. You need to get a 'returns number' from Hornby Customer Services - see 'Contact Us' link at the very bottom of the page.

If you do arrange to get your Select firmware upgraded, then you will need both the Select version 1.5 full manual and the version 1.6 addendum manual. As the operation of your Select (how to use it) will be completely different in certain areas of operation compared to your current firmware version.

You can download these two manual PDFs from here:

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/downloads/view/index/cat/12/

If nothing appears to happen, check your nominated browser download folder for the files as they can download silently in the background.

@Chrissaf........"HB's reply logic is flawed. For some reason he forgot that the TT motor is connected to the output of the decoder, and that the TT motor is providing a 'load' on the decoder."

I am fully aware of that, Chris, but it didn't work when the OP tried re-addressing but the TT decoder did address when the loco was on the track..........my memory hasn't depleted yet even having just celebrated my 79th birthday........ 😆..........HB

Yes, but there could be other reasons why the TT decoder failed to be re-addressed the second time. It might have been a 'one off' temporary glitch. It just seemed to me that a 'motor load' missing would be unlikely to be a cause in this instance. One would really need to know the exact connectivity ot the TT decoder and how it relates to the track connections. Information that has not been provided.

Congratulations on the 79th by the way, I'm some years behind and may not catch you up as health not brilliant at present. Cocktail of extensive medication needed on a daily basis. ☹️

Just bought a new Loco, removed all the other loco's from the track but forgot about the decoder on the turntable so it now comes on with the new loco. I tried to program its old number in-no success. What are the options here-do i need to give the turntable a new address number or a full reset on the the Select controller and start afresh?

• 2 weeks later...

A decoder won't program unless there is a motor load in the circuit which explains why it changed address when the loco was on the track. So if you put the loco back on the track and re-address the turntable (and the loco) with the old turntable address that will solve that problem then you need to re-address the loco on a separate piece of track.........HB

I decided to give the T/T a new address number and all is now working okay. Thanks